The Wedding: Part 2

Erica's P.O.V.

My heels thud softly on the carpet, strewn with petals, and the wedding march blares in the background. My dad has my arm in his, and I'm certain I'm about to roll an ankle. All eyes are focused on me, and I tremble a little. Don't mess up... don't mess up...

"Are you sure you're ready?" My dad whispers in my ear. "Because if you aren't, then we can call the whole thing off..."

"Dad, I'm fine. Stop worrying." I whisper back. Josh smiles at me from across the church, and I blush even more fiercely.

For a moment, that flash of doubt returns. He's never been part of my life. Why is he acting like a father now?

I shove it aside, once again. I'm not letting old grudges ruin my soaring spirits. Maybe just today, we can have a real family. I'm sure it will vanish without a trace tomorrow, and things will return to normal tomorrow. But today I can pretend.

"I know, but you're almost 19. Last time you talked about wearing a wedding dress was when you were ten! You're getting married, going to college...l'm loosing you, aren't I?"

We get to the top of the isle and I sigh. "Get a hold of yourself! I know I'm growing up and everything is going by so fast, but you have to remember that no matter who I'm with, or how old I am, I will always be your little girl and you will always be my Dad." This must be the cheesiest thing I have ever said. But it's one of the few times I have ever felt loved by my father.

There are tears on the brim of his eyes now. His lips tremble as they curve up into a smile, revealing the little crinkles by his eyes.

"I love you." That's a first. I haven't heard him say that in awhile.

"I love you, too." I give him a kiss on the cheek before taking a small step up to face Joshua. His smile sends explsions of adoration blossoming inside me. I square my shoulders with confidence at the sight of him. Strange how one look can lift me up so high. And now I get to spend my life with him...

He's wearing a black tuxedo with the long tie a requested. His hair is in that messy ruffle that I like, and he smells like Axe cologne. Its an intoxicating scent, and I love it.

"Good afternoon everyone." The minister starts. The crowd says, in unison, says good afternoon. I look over to the front row and glimpse my mom and dad. They're both smiling so hard that their cheeks are red. The attention makes me squirmy and nervous, but it also feels somewhat addicting. Everyone's focused on me. It's my day to be happy.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God in Paradise, and into which holy estate these two persons present come now to be joined. Therefore if any man or woman can show any just cause why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him or her now speak, or else hereafter for ever hold your peace."

I look over Josh's shoulder and see my brother give me a thumbs up. He's one of Joshua's...er...what do they call them? Mensmaids? Well, anyway, on his side, there's Jacob, who's his best man, Luke, Eric, a friend from elementary school, and Matthew, Maygan's boyfriend if you forgot.

On my side, there's Maygan, Jayda, Audrey, Alexis, and Maria. I couldn't decide on who to make my...what's it called? Geez. I'm clueless on wedding intel. I mean, like, a best man, so a best woman? I dunno. I just didn't want to make that decision, so, basically, they're all my best ladies. It was a smart compromise.

All of a sudden, there a loud thumping noise. I look into the audience, and everyone is wondering where the noise is coming from.

"Well I have a pretty damn good reason as to why he should not marry her!" I hear a girl voice yell. I look to the big chapel doors, and see the one and only Justine Chrislani at the entrance with her hands on her hips.