Chapter 19

And we danced all night to the best song ever

We knew every line, now I can't remember

How it goes but I know, that I won't forget her

'Cause we danced all night to the best song ever

I think it when oh, oh, oh

I think it went yeah, yeah, yeah

I think it goes...woo!

"Erica! Your phone's ringing!" I hear Luke yell from the living room.

I happily skip into the living room from the kitchen with two turkey sandwiches on a plate. "Gotcha." I say as I place the plate down on the coffee table. I grab my phone off the couch and press answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe." I hear a deep voice say.

"Hey Joshy! How are ya?" I lean against the counter cheerfully.

"OK I guess. How 'bout you?"

"Awesome." Luke smirks at me, and I glare as he slips into another room.

"Nice. Um, so, I wanted to ask if you wanted to go on a date with me. I've planned it out all week, so I'd be pretty crushed if you said no." His voice sounds so nervous, it's adorable.

"Of course I'll go on a date with you, Josh! It would be wrong if I said no, even if you didn't plan the whole thing for a week."

"Sweet! Thanks!"

"Uh-huh. Is there anything I should wear?"

"Um...well, the weather forcast says it'll be around seventy degrees, so maybe a short dress. But nothing too short. I don't want guys drooling over you."

"KK. What time is the date?"

"In about an hour. I'll pick you up at eight, ok?"

"Alright. I'll start getting ready."

"Ok. Bye. Love you."

"Bye! Love you, too."

I hang up and put the phone down on the coffee table. I look to the plate that had two turkey sandwiches on it. "Luke? Did you eat both of the sandwiches?"

"Yeah." He says.

I give him a dead look. He plays innocent. "What? I'm a growing boy! I need mah food!"

"Oh, put a sock in it!" I roll my eyes and sit down on the couch. "Listen, I don't want you telling mom and dad about my date, got it?"

"And why shouldn't I tell them?"

"Because I don't want "the talk" when I'm not even gonna do it."

"What's in it for me?"

My spirits kind of sink for a moment. "Luke, you know how our parents are. They leave. They forget about us. Then when I go on a date or find a boyfriend, all of a sudden they act like they were there for us all along. I don't want that to happen. It makes me angry."

His eyes soften.

"I will supply you with a bag of white chocolate kisses," I offer, smiling.

"And?"

"And I won't tell mom and dad that you and Jayda have been getting even more... "friendly" than you already have been."

"Ok ok! Fine!"

"Thanks. I'm gonna go get ready. Try not to eat the whole kitchen." I kiss his cheek and head for the stairs.

"I'll try my best!" he calls. I laugh and skip up the steps and to my room.