Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Dude I can't wait!!!!" Anthony yells as we walk home from school. It was Friday. The day of the concert. After I told Mom about it, she insisted that I go. And, after our conversation about going out with some friends, I knew I couldn't get out of this. I really wasn't sure if I wanted to though. I mean, it was out of my comfort zone. I've never been to a concert before. Plus, I was worried about Dad. What if he came after me? What if he went after Mom? I doubt if either of us could take what he would give.

"I can't wait for you to meet Emily. I know she'll love you." I tried to fake a smile. He's been going on nonstop about her all day. I'm pretty sure I know her better than she knows herself by now. It's not that I didn't want to hear about her it's just that-well-I guess I'm a bit jealous....I mean he seems so in love with her. I guess that, now that I wasn't being beat senseless and actually saw someone who was in love, I could tell how much I wanted to have someone.

"Remember be at our house by five. Two hours to make yourself look pretty. Got it?" Anthony said as we stop at his house. I nod.

"Two hours. Got it." I said as I prayed the beating wouldn't last past an hour. Anthony smiled.

"Okay. Bye Kellin." I nod back at him as my form of goodbye.

"Bye Kellin!!" Taylor yelled. He was already at the top of their driveway, waving at me. I smiled a bit and waved back before turning to walk home. As I started walking, I considered turning back, going into the safety of Anthony's house and taking the beating later. I knew it would be worse, but I really could care less. I couldn't take it today. He's been extra harsh this week. I sighed as I looked up my driveway as I retched the house.

'No turning back now.' I thought as I slowly made my way up the driveway, my hand lingering on the handle.

'Maybe if I ran. Maybe he wouldn't get me. Maybe I can make it out of this.' I thought as I opened the door, ready to make a break for it. As soon as I opened the door, I ran to the stairs. But, much to my despair, I felt a hand on my shoulder as I pasted the kitchen, stopping me. I was almost to the stairs.

"Kellin!" I almost jumped at the sound of his voice saying my name. He hasn't called me that in so long....I turned around to face him, seeing him in a suit and a man standing behind him.

"H-hi Dad." He smiled and hugged me tightly. Like he had never hurt me or made me feel worthless. I could help but notice that I couldn't smell any alcohol on his breath. I thought for a second that maybe he has changed; maybe he had saw what he was doing and stopped.

"Don't ruin this for me idiot." That name again. I feel the hope that he had changed go away. That was just a child's dream; it would never happen.

"This guy could give me a job. If you ruin this, I swear you'll regret it." he whispered. I could hear the venom dripping off his voice, making me shiver slightly. I quickly hugged him back, half because I was scared of what would happen if I didn't and half because he was squeezing me so tight and touching all the bruises and scars he gave me. After I nodded, he let me go and smiled, but the darkness in his eyes made me want to coward in a corner. I tried my best to smile back and, after years of wearing a fake smile, pulled it off. He turned back to the man.

"John this is my son Kellin. Kellin, this is John." he said, turning to me with a look in his eyes that seemed to say, 'You better not screw this up.' I quickly looked away from him and to the man, John, holding out my hand. He takes it and shakes it, smiling back as he did.

"It's nice to meet you Kellin. Your Dad's been talking about you and your Mom non-stop." John said.

'Talking about us? Probably just trying to sound good. What did he even say? He doesn't know anything about me besides my name, which he barely uses, and my that a cut. And he didn't tell him that. Why would you? I'm sure he just made stuff up. He's lucky I'm a good actor." I thought to myself. Dad frowned.