Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I whimpered as I was dropped to the ground, instantly curling into a ball. Dad was worse tonight. I had done something to set him off and he hadn't stopped for at least three hours. My body ached all over. I heard him laugh then kick me once more.

"What's wrong? Can't take a little beating you stupid-." I shut my eyes tight in attempt to block out the next word. It was a good thing Mom waited for me. She couldn't have taken it. She'd been dead half way through. Dad picked me up by my shirt collar, making me stand up even though my leg was in terrible condition. He knew it too. The only reason he did that was to bring me pain. I whimpered as he made me stand on it, biting my lip hard. He laughed.

"Can't take a little pain? I shouldn't even call you my son." he spat out at me. "I shouldn't should I?!"

"No sir." I'm not sure how I managed to get that out through all the pain, but I did. It was barely a whimper though. He threw me to the floor again.

"You should be thankful I put a roof over your sorry head." I bit my lip to keep it my whimpers.

"Where's your Mom? I haven't seen her in a while." I knew by the anger in his voice what he was going to do. I grabbed onto his pants leg, trying my best to stop him from getting to her.

"N-no." I cough out, a bit of blood coming out too.

"Why don't you want me checking on the whore.? Another word I choose to ignore. "Is she cheating on me?!" I shook my head, hoping she was able to climb out of my window. I'm sure she has already. I just didn't want him to hurt her if she hadn't. He grabs my hair that was matted with blood and dirt from being on the ground, pulling me up by it.

"Did you not hear me?! Is she cheating on me?!" he yelled in my face.

"N-no sir." I hated calling him sir but he made me. If I called him anything else or forgot to say it, he'd beat me worse. Which was a shame. There's so many words I'd like to call him.

"You lying little queer." he muttered, throwing me on the ground and walking away, but not before kicking me once more. I knew he wasn't going to check though. He knew I was too afraid to lie to him. I saw him walk into the kitchen, then walk back out with a beer in his hand. He collapsed on the couch, then looked at me.

"Get out of my sight. I don't want to see your face right now." I quickly scrambled up and limped to my room, despite the pain. I knew if I didn't obey him, it would only be worse.

As soon as I got to my bed, I collapsed onto it. I was already aching everywhere, and having to put weight on my legs didn't help at all. That short walk up the stairs and to my room completely winded me. I'm surprised I only passed out once during that beating. I was almost asleep when I felt someone move my arm and cuddle into my side, causing me to yelp a bit.

"K-Kellin? Are you okay?" Mom. I looked down and could just barely make out her figure.

"Mom? Why didn't you leave? Dad was going to get you. Did you not leave?" I question softly. She shakes her head.

"I-I couldn't leave. I knew you'd be hurt bad after it lasted over two hours...." I sighed and sat up slowly, ,Mom helping me so the pain wasn't too much.

"That doesn't matter Mom. I told you that anytime he had me, either run or hide." I said through gritted teeth. The pain was too much. I was hoping the pain would knock me out so I could leave this world, if only for a few minutes. But that wouldn't happen.

"And I did Kellin. I hid on the roof." I look over at her and shake my head.

"He still could've gotten you. You know how he is when he's drunk. He wants nothing more than to cause pain. If I'm not feeling enough of it, he'll come after you. That can't happen." I could make out her shaking her head at me while looking at her hands.

"I just wish you didn't have to grow up so fast...." I laugh; it was more of a harsh laugh though.

"I'm sixteen now Mom. I'm supposed to be grown up by now." My voice was barely above a whisper. We've had this conversation before. I knew where it was going. She shook her head again.

"No Kellin. You never had a childhood. No one bought you your first dog. No one taught you how to ride a bike. No one planed your birthday parties. There's so much stuff you never did....All because you were thinking about me...." I didn't have to see her to know she was crying. Quickly, I hugged her close to me.

"Mom don't cry." I whispered, wiping a tear off her cheek. "It's fine. I never wanted any of that stuff." I lied. Truth is, I'd do about anything to go back and change my childhood. But she didn't need to know that. But she probably did, like I said this isn't the first time this topic has been up for discussion.

"But Kellin you still don't do anything....You just stay at home and take beatings you don't deserve."

',and take beatings you don't deserve.' Those words bounced around in my head. Dad told me I deserved everything he did. And he was right. Right? Did I? Rodger did the same thing. Did I deserve that too?

"Kellin?" I felt Mom's tiny hand on my shoulder. "Did you hear me?" I look at her and shake my head. She moved her hand off my shoulder and to my hand, taking it into both of hers.

"I want you to go out and do something this week. I can stay over at a friends house; I'll tell them it's relationship problems and I need a place to stay."

I was ready to say, "But I don't have any friends." like I always do but then I remembered. Anthony. Taylor. The concert. I look at Mom.

"You know this will just get me a worse beating right?" She sighed.

"Maybe he'll be too drunk." I shake my head.

"We both know that won't happen. And you're not taking it for me." She sighed again. I knew that's what she was about to say.

"Still, a day of fun would be worth it right?" I shrug.

"Don't worry Mom. Just go to sleep." She nods and lays down, but not before helping me lay down. After that, she softly cuddles into me, careful not to cause me any pain. She was about to drift off when she whispered, "Goodnight Kellin. I love you."

I smiled then kissed forehead then. Even though she couldn't hear me, I whispered, "Goodnight Mom. I love you too."