Chapter Twenty Nine - New York

Tori

Their bags were packed and they were ready to go. The drive from Oklahoma to New York would be a long one, but they were going to do it.

They were really going to leave...

Sure, being gay in New York wasn't a walk in the park, but it was more accepted there than it was in Oklahoma. And that's all they wanted. To be accepted so they didn't have to run anymore.

They just wanted to love.

Dean grabbed the last bag and packed it into the trunk. It was late at night, almost 2 in the morning. They had to leave at a time where no one would actually see them leave.

Cas was in the car already, eyes closed and breath slowly, but surely, evening out to the point where he was softly lulling off to sleep. Dean smiled and walked back inside the house really quick.

He went to Sam's room, walking in and looking down at his little brother. Sam was sleeping, hair all over the place and mouth half open. When he woke up to get ready for school, Dean would be gone.

A part of Dean wanted to take Sam with them. But they couldn't do that to John. He needed Sam. They needed each other.

He leaned down and kissed the top of Sam's head before walking out of the room, softly shutting the door behind him.

By the time he writes a note for his dad and Sam, Cas is sitting awake in the car. Dean gets in the driver's seat and turns the car on. Cas smiles sleepily and runs a hand through his hair.

"Did you say bye?" He says, voice quiet and rough from sleep. Dean nods his head, pulling away from where the car was parked near the curb. He set out driving down the street.

They were really doing this.

Dean couldn't help but feel scared.

He was so excited and happy to go to New York with Cas and start his new life, but he couldn't help worrying.

Cas was the person he was going to stay with forever. He knew that. He had never felt anything at all like this for anyone but Cas, and he could see his future. His everything was Cas and if there was one thing he knew about his future, is that it was by his side.

But what if it didn't turn out how they wanted it to.

What if something happened and they split up again? What if it's not what they think it's going to turn out how they want. They have so many things to consider. Jobs, rent, all of the other...grown up stuff that they weren't ready for.

But then Cas leans over and gently grabs Dean's right hand from where it's resting on his thigh, lacing their fingers together and whispering a quiet "I love you" before dozing off again, and Dean knows that he has nothing to worry about.

Cas is his forever.

***

They had pulled over to eat a diner about 4 hours into driving. It was almost 6am, and the diner was 24 hours and Dean was hungry.

They sat down in the booth, Dean leaning on his elbow which was resting on the table. His eyes were closing ever so slowly, and Cas smiled at his boyfriend. He gently puts his hand on Dean's knee, squeezing it lightly.

"Thank you." Cas whispers, gently kissing Dean's cheek. Dean closes his eyes, but there's a very happy smile on his face.

"Anything for you, angel." Dean says. Cas smiles again, leaning back against the booth.

The waitress comes by and takes their orders, Cas going with an omelet and some orange juice, and Dean getting black coffee and a large stack of pancakes.