Chapter Twenty Three- Make Up and Break Up

Torayyyy

Cas stood there in the locker room, staring into Dean's eyes with his own puffy ones.

"What did you say?"

Dean just laughs and shakes his head. "I love you, Cas. I love you, and I have from the beginning, babe." He says quietly, looking at Cas.

Cas was confused. Really, really, really confused.

"But you're....dating Dallas." Cas says. "You can't love me if you're dating him."

Dean shakes his head. "This isn't about Dally, alright? Hell, he doesn't even like me. Cas, he uses me for sex. He doesn't...he doesn't mean anywhere as much to me as you do."

Cas looks at Dean for a second. "It doesn't change the fact that you still kissed him while dating me."

Dean looks down and wrings his hands together. He looks nervous. Cas isn't used to seeing Dean Winchester look so...

Vulnerable.

"Cas, when I kissed Dallas, it was the biggest mistake of my life. Because I knew I had hurt you, and it was so...so fucking stupid of me to think that it wouldn't affect you. I'm so sorry. But I was trying to protect you, you have to understand-"

"I'm sorry," Cas starts, hands clenching at his side. "I'm sorry if I don't understand how you kissing someone else, someone that tried to break us up, would somehow protect me."

The greaser looks down. "I was...I was thinking that if you didn't date me, you wouldn't have to...settle for less. You wouldn't have to be sucked into my shitty life."

Cas rolls his eyes. "God, Dean. You still don't get it, do you?" Dean just looks at him confused. "I want to be in your shitty life. And I wouldn't be settling for less if I dated you, because I knew that you were the best I could ever have." Dean looks up at him.

"Cas, please. You...you have to listen to me," Dean pleaded. "Cas, I love you. I was an idiot for not saying it before, but I love you and I've never loved anyone outside of my family before. Please, just...just give me one more chance. One more date. I'll break up with Dallas. I'll do anything you want. I'll go shopping for new clothes, I won't smoke anymore, I won't torment your friends, I won't do anything you don't want me to. But I just need one more date with you. And if you hate it, I won't talk to you ever again. I promise."

Dean looked at Cas , seeing him staring down at the ground. "I don't know if I can do that, Dean. What if it just happens again."

"It won't happen again. It could never happen again." Dean says, walking over to Cas and cupping his face. He tilts the other boy's head up so they're facing eye to eye.

Cas realizes that Dean still has those same green eyes.

"Cas, there is no one that I would rather have than you. You are all that I can imagine for past and present, and I was stupid enough to actually believe that trying to date someone else would keep you safe."

The bell rings and Cas pulls away slowly as the rest of the class walks into the locker room. Cas keeps his head down as he heads over to change back into his normal clothes, leaving Dean behind slightly.

Whatever shred of hope Dean had of winning back Cas was gone, now. And Dean felt like crying.

But Dean doesn't cry.

***

It was the end of school and Dean was at his locker, throwing all of his books in and slamming it shut.

"You know, if you break it, you're going to have to pay for it. I wouldn't do that if I were you."

Dean turned around to face Sam and sighed. "What, Sammy? Why didn't you already start walking home with Pony? I'm fine." Dean says, holding his book bag on his shoulder.