Just as Dan was giving up for real, the gameboy was snatched out of the boy's hand.

"Wow, really funny to mess with a guy half your size. Got some real humour there guys!" Dan recognised that voice. It was the voice he'd been secretly - not like a stalker! - listening to for a year. He looked up and just as he guessed, he was met by the black hair and the blue eyes. The two older guys rolled their eyes, but let him go. Dan stumbled and lost his balance.

"You're not very scary, Lester, you know that right?" Brad said and he and his friend finally left, throwing the gameboy next to Dan on the floor. Dan shyly looked up at the guy who was now even more idolised in his eyes. His signature smile was plastered on the face and his hand was reached out. Dan took it, enjoying the warm feeling against his own cold hand.

"Are you okay?" Dan nodded, still in shock and a bit starstrucked by the guy in front of him. "I'm Phil, I think we're neighbours!" he knew! He knew they were neighbours! That meant that he'd noticed Dan!

"I know" Dan whispered almost inaudibly. Phil's smile grew bigger.

*

"Phil!" Dan whined as the older boy had beaten him in the videogame for the seventh time that evening. He threw his controller on the bed beside him in defeat.

"Aww, don't give up! You almost won this time!" Phil said, giggling to himself at the little boy's small tantrum. Dan crossed his arms and turned his head away from Phil. He wasn't really mad at the other boy, he just wanted him to suffer a bit after beating him in the game. Phil wasn't giving up that easily though. With a mischievous smirk on his face he moved closer to Dan and surprised him by starting to tickle his sides. The younger one let out a squeal and tried to move away, but he forgot that he was on a bed. A bed with an edge. Dan fell off the bed and Phil who was kind of leaning on Dan while tickling him fell off too. They ended up together on the floor, laughing. That's the point where the door opened and both boys freezed and looked towards it.

"I thought you troublemakers were asleep" mrs Lester said sternly, although the smile on her face was entirely genuine. The boys sat up and looked down at the floor. Mrs Lester smiled wider at their cuteness. "Have you at least brushed your teeth?" they nodded eagerly and mrs Lester gave them a look of approval. "Good, now off to bed with you!" she blew them kisses and closed the door behind her. Dan and Phil looked at each other and burst out laughing again. Man, they loved their weekly sleepovers.

Over the course of a few months they had become the closest of friends and Phil did not seem to be bothered by the fact that Dan was three years younger. Their mum's had become great friends as well and they were spending almost every minute together. They had so much in common, it was impossible for them not to be best friends. Although Dan always had the gnawing worry that Phil would realise how much smaller and boring Dan was and decide he wanted better friends.

Age 8 and 11

"What's so special about this friend? Why can't I join?" Dan whined as he watched Phil fix his fringe in front of the mirror for the millionth time. He was sitting behind the older boy, on the bed to be more exact. He'd come over, ready for their usual sleepover - the one they'd always had every Friday to Saturday for two years - refusing to believe his mum when she said Phil had other plans. Now Phil had just told him the shocking news himself and Dan didn't want to believe it. How could this friend be more important than him?

"Because, it's a girl I really like - or at least I think I do, I'm not quite sure what it means - and we're going to the movies" Phil explained brushing invisible dirt off his button up shirt.

"A girl? But girls have cooties" Dan said matter-of-factly. Phil sighed and sat down next to his friend on the bed.

"Dan, you're eight, you should know better than to think that girls have cooties" Phil scolded softly. Dan was confused. How could they not have cooties? How could Phil rather want to spend time with a girl than with Dan? He knew Phil was starting Secondary School soon, Dan was always afraid he would grow away from Dan, but didn't think it would happen yet. It was obvious that Phil was more developed than Dan, since Dan had never seen girls in any other way than the weird aliens with cooties.