Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I was moving before I realized. There was no time to stop and analyse the situation. He was in trouble.

"Where are you even going?" Angel asked trying to keep up with me.

"I'm going to help him. Whatever trouble he's in because of that bitch needs to stop now and I'm going to stop it if I have to punch through that snarky face of hers or not."

Anger pulsed through me. What has he ever done to deserve this kind of treatment? I had no clue what was happening but that only made me all the more eager to break some faces today.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?" Jack grabbed my arm as I stormed past without stopping.

I shrugged him off and kept going almost jogging to my car. I heard Angel brief him in before his yell reached me.

"Are you stupid? Why would you rush over there when this could be some kind of trap? Listen to him and stay away. I told you to stay away from him for a reason."

I didn't even pause. His words meant nothing at this point. No matter what kind of danger he thought Nate was, it was no reason to leave him in that state by himself.

Jack was already blocking the way to my car his jaw clenched in frustration.

"You're not going," he ground out.

"This is my fight. Yours is waiting back there with the rest of them. You can't stop me," I glared at him.

I pushed past him and got in the car before he could do anything.

My mind was racing as I sped towards Nathan's place. I was anticipating...I didn't even know what to be anticipating. What could have happened to him?

I ran for the door and almost kicked it down in my rush to get in but stopped short thinking I didn't need any more witnesses to this. Lucky for me or unlucky since the door was already open as if ready for me. That should have been my warning sign to proceed with caution but at the moment I wasn't too preoccupied. Served me right.

The house was eerily silent which didn't last long as I barreled up the stairs to where I guessed his room must be. The good news was that I got there faster without tripping down the stairs and got a glimpse at the dishevelled form of Nathan. The bad news was that my momentum made the oncoming attack even harder on the landing considering the wall was not made of feathers to begin with. As my head ricocheted off the wall and I barely managed not to crumple to the floor, the presence of two other people registered. Not that I managed to see anything past the stars floating along my vision. But from what I could tell they were big and not very pleased to see me.

I had a split second to collect myself and dodge out of the way as one of the mystery thugs aimed a kick at my head. They sure knew how to make a first impression. The wall shook as it took the impact.

"The hell is going on here?" I asked no one in particular but still hoping for an explanation.

Nathan didn't seem in any shape to move much less answer. He seemed to be in pain but I had no time to assess his situation at the moment.

"Stay still girl and it'll be over faster," one of the thugs grunted as he lunged my way.

Yeah. Like I was gonna stay still and get turned into a pancake. A leapt to the side but he managed to grab my leg bringing me down hard. I barely had time to lift my head as something was pressed against my face, obstructing my airways. I got lightheaded as I realized I was being drugged. Shit. So much for being the rescue team. How could he ambush me like this? That was the last conscious thought I had for a while.

...

"You finally managed to get one thing right. You're lucky she's so stupid... You had one job and you couldn't get that right so don't come acting like a bigshot now. I give the orders here no matter what you seem to think."

That voice sounded vaguely familiar and menacing. My head was foggy as I resurfaced and oh the joy as I could now feel all the bruises and possible concussion I have. I couldn't manage to open my eyes yet but I doubted there was much light to go by and I couldn't move around so I was probably being tied up.

The voice started again but further away so I couldn't tell what she was saying. I cracked open one eye and got a glimpse and what a surprise. Somehow all the crazies get drawn to me. Could no one be as innocent as they seem? Nicole, my supposed next door neighbour, was pacing around muttering on the phone. I had the urge to sigh but kept from making any noise.

I just tracked her movements as I examined the location. It just seemed like an empty warehouse. Now these ropes tying me were pretty tight but I might be able to make some space and get it loose. How was I getting out of here though? She probably didn't want to have a simple chat with me and then let me go and she probably wasn't alone here.

My thoughts didn't get far since she hung up and headed my way not surprised to see me already conscious.

"No more wasting time. Be a good little prisoner for once and stay put. We don't have much time."

Like I was going anywhere. I didn't answer but it wasn't like she was expecting it. I don't know what she was going on about but I didn't like the way she was heading toward a small black briefcase in the corner. Those things never mean anything good. While her back was turned away, I struggled with the rope but all that did was guarantee me some extra bruises.

"I'm not exactly sure how much he said to give you but what do we have to lose anyway," she shrugged as she pulled out a huge ass needle that contained some type of blue liquid. Oh crap. Damn it! Now I didn't care, I struggled harder, pulling until I felt like I must've started bleeding from rope burn because there was no way I was letting her near me with that thing. Not again. I started kicking at her but she just laughed.

"Get away from me with that shit," I snarled.

"I don't see what's he finds so interesting in you. You're just some brat he picked up. This should keep you quiet while we move you though." She ignored me as she came up from behind, positioning that monster needle at my neck. "Not like it would be so tragic if you accidentally overdosed. It wouldn't be the first time it happened," she muttered as a cold sweat spread through me.

"If you were more dedicated to the cause maybe we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place, Nic," a cold voice sounded from the entrance. That familiar voice sent a shiver through me as the needle pierced flesh. It felt like fire coursing through my veins. Worse than the first time I Changed. My vision didn't turn blue as the liquid would suggest but it burned red before flickering on and off as if not sure I wanted to stay conscious for what was going on next. I did get to see that face that has been haunting my nightmares before true chaos broke out.

The building shook so fiercely I thought it was an earthquake but then I saw the smoke and the screaming started. It felt like I was hearing it through a tunnel. I could barely keep my head up. My body went from the burning pain to completely numb. This was not good. My heartbeat was the only thing I could hear at this point. Too loud, it shouldn't be this loud. What was happening to me? What did she give me?

At first I couldn't understand why the floor was moving but then I realised I was moving. I tried to fight back but there was no strength. Noah's voice cut through the haze a second. "We're here now."

How?

Sunlight hit my face. A door closing. Something silver flashed past and I tried to find my voice before the darkness of unconsciousness swallowed me. I felt my mouth moving but no sound was coming out. I pushed past the numbness with what little strength I had as Noah leaned in to hear me. A single thing mattered now. "Dominic."