Chapter 10

Chapter 10

After school, I stepped outside to take the bus. Reflexively, I looked around and what a surprise to see his car. His back was to me and he was leaning against his car. I walked up to him prepared to say hi when I noticed he was on the phone. He sounded angry. I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard a familiar name: Dominic. I was about to ask him what he knew about him but then someone grabbed my arm and whirled me around. It was Melissa.

"Eavesdropping isn't good," she said, snarky.

"I wasn't-"

"I don't care. Shouldn't you be going home now?"

"Yeah," I said glancing back at Jack.

I was confused. What was happening? Since the time I met Jack, no one has told me anything about Dominic. Just that he was busy. Busy doing what? I took one last look at them and saw Melissa getting into his car. He already hung up his phone and was sliding into the driver's side. That was a scene I didn't want in my head.

I headed for the bus stop. Then I got an idea. I pulled out my phone and started to text Jack.

'Hey! Do you have Jeremy's #?'

I wondered what he was going to think about that. I didn't mean anything with that. I just had to ask Jer if he would meet Angel.

A reply came a few minutes later.

'436-9285'

I couldn't believe it. He was actually doing it without asking questions. He must not care.

Another text came. I checked.

'This is Melissa BTW'

And another.

'You really are obsessed.'

I shut my phone. She didn't understand anything.

I took the bus all the way home, then thought about maybe going back to headquarters. The only problem was I needed a ride. Who could I call? Maybe I should ask Jeremy. I have his number. I texted him to see where he was.

'Hey Jeremy! It's Ellie. I got your number from Jack. Just wondering where you are right now?'

A few minutes later an answer came.

'Good to hear from you. I was just about to head to work, why?'

'What a coincidence. I was just about to head over, only problem was I had no ride. Would you mind picking me up? Plz?'

'Sure, no problem. Be right there.'

That was nice of him. I heard his car pull up a few minutes later. I wondered how they all knew my address and also why they all had such expensive cars. He was driving a BMW for Christ sake. He was barely older than me. This job must pay better than the mob.

I hopped in the passenger side and said hi before he took off. He might look calm but he drove like a maniac on the road. I gripped my seatbelt so hard my knuckles turned white and I was scared of ripping it right off. He made a turn and I was pressed against the door. When we stopped at the red light I looked at him. He looked perfectly calm as if he wasn't just violating every speeding law.

"Can you drive slower?" I asked.

He looked at me as if considering.

"It's fine how I drive. We'll just get there faster."

Then the light turned green.

It didn't take long to get there. I was tremendously happy when we stopped in front of the familiar concrete building. I went in and Jeremy followed behind. I saw the door to Seth's office closed so I asked.