Chapter 20

Chapter 20

By mid-December, we had a few leads on the enemy. Christmas was approaching quickly and I was still stressing last minute as usual with my gifts. I was at work with Jeremy which has now become our usual routine.

"So you excited about Christmas?" he asked.

He was head of the research team. The guy was a magician with computers.

"Yeah! I still got to do some last minute shopping but I can't wait."

"Seth just told me the date of the party."

His was looking at me but his hands were just flying on the keyboard.

I had heard we had a Christmas party every year and we were supposed to be all dressed up. I already had a dress picked out if not a date although I had my doubts on how this might end up.

Angel and I planned to go together. She insisted even though I know she would have preferred to go with Jer. I was just wondering if I should get Mr. Bigshot a present. He hasn't stopped his annoying attempts at flirting since that last job we did. I had a feeling he might get me something and I would feel bad if I didn't have anything.

The only problem was that I didn't know what the hell he likes other than girls that is.

I must have been frowning because Jer asked, "What's wrong?"

I had no reason to lie really.

"I was just, um, trying to think of a present for your idiot brother."

I eyed him as an idea struck me. "What do you think I should get him?"

He looked away back at his computer as if he needed to see the screen to concentrate.

"I don't know if I'm the one you should be asking. It would be better if it came from you," he muttered slightly uncomfortable.

My eyes narrowed and I grinned as his shy side surfaced. "What kind of presents were you thinking of huh? I'm not one of his hook ups, ya know," I whispered to him half-teasing as I slung my hand playfully around his shoulders. It was a hard feat to pull off since he along with every other guy here trains like they are attending the Olympics so it was a wide stretch.

"There's so much hard work going on here I think you two deserve a break," Jack's sarcastic comment broke the playful mood and Jer switched back to serious mode.

I frowned at Jack. "For your information, we, as in he, worked very hard today." I went back to my seat.

"I could see that," he commented as he nonchalantly draped his arm around me.

"Why so jealous?" I asked with a smirk.

"Who's jealous?" he peered at my blank computer screen.

"An idiot." I muttered.

"Get a room you two," Jer said as he glanced at us in fake disgust.

I glance at Jack. "Don't even think of it."

I got a sudden idea. I didn't really want to but it was worth it if I could get an idea for his present.

"Let's go for a walk," I hopped off my chair, tugging Jack along with me.

"Finally giving in to my charms I see. I knew you loved me all along," his cocky grin reappeared.

"You're fresh out of luck. I stopped going for idiots just yesterday."

"Then why are you dragging me along with you?"

"I just realized I don't know squat about you."

"You know plenty." He started leading me toward a café he usually likes to hang out at with his hook ups. More like that's where he picks them up.