Chapter 15

Chapter 15

She didn't seem to realize the colossal bomb she had just dropped.

By the time Jack came back, I was studiously ignoring everyone in the front. My music was blasting too loud for me to think. I was vaguely aware of the car starting. We then drove for a while then stopped for a while then we took off again. Then we stopped again. I thought we had arrived so I looked up. Bad idea. The first stop was probably the drop off for Victoria. Now we were in a parking lot and Jack was staring straight at me.

He looked frustrated. I shut off my music and just stared back at him without a word. I dimly noticed his eyes lost their sparkle when he was frustrated.

"What happened?" he asked, no, demanded.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

"When I came back from taking the call, something changed. Vicky was feeling troubled," he said with a frown.

Vicky?

I didn't know what I did to trouble her but it seemed like he was accusing me.

"She just told me the truth."

He didn't seem all that surprised, just resigned. He sighed heavily.

"I didn't want to but my family decided otherwise. Since I'm now...considered the oldest, I have to inherit the family business. That's also why I'm this way. I know how I must seem to others, always going after a different girl, never committing. It never bothered me...until now," he said looking at me with serious eyes.

Why was he telling me all of this?

My heart hurt for him. I didn't know loving someone could hurt so much. And I couldn't believe he was the one I fell for. She was right. It was going to hurt even more when they end up together.

"When are you going to get married?" I asked as a sudden lump formed in my throat.

"Soon," he said.

I could hear how much this was hurting him as well. What was I going to do when I saw them together? My vision suddenly got blurry. I blinked back my tears. Now was not the time to cry.

"You won't see us."

I lifted my eyes to his. My barrier was probably weakened due to my feeling being all shaken up but how was it possible not to see them unless...

The look on his face made my heart squeeze painfully.

"When the time comes I'll have to leave," he said gently without looking at me.

"No," I said so low I doubt he heard.

All the happiness I was feeling at just being able to be in his presence was now forgotten. There was just sadness and pain in its place. And there was nothing to be done. We could just wait for the day when he had to leave.

I was starting to feel numb. I was realizing that we could never be together. Not just because this was mostly a one sided love on my part but even if by some miracle we did go out, there was the issue of his family. I didn't even know he had brothers.

"You said you had brothers?" I asked trying to lighten the mood.

He seemed to be about to say something. He heard my question and a pained look came upon his face.

"Yeah. You know one of them. Jeremy."

The surprises never end. I guess Angel got her wish to date one of Jack's brothers. They don't even look alike.

"We are all from different mothers," he clarified.

I just nodded.

"My other brother, Jason, is older than me," he continued with a look of hurt or anger passing on his face.