Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The next day I got to school and was already impatient for the day to finish. I couldn't wait to try out my car. I got distracted when I saw Nathan holding hands with Jessica. Wow. Their date must have gone well. I don't really approve of their couple though. He was sweet and nice but annoying and she was just mean. He's my friend so if he's happy...well I won't be if it's with her.

I had English that morning. Angel was still pouting when I got to class.

"Are you still angry with Jer?" I asked.

"What do you think?" she replied glaring at me.

Then her look turned to puzzled.

"What?" I asked.

"You look different. What did you do to your hair?"

"Nothing really."

Then I remembered...the Change. I completely forgot about it. How? No clue. Too much stuff happened right after I didn't notice if I went back to normal. I checked my hair. It was still black and bluish but the blue didn't show as much. I guess my eyes went back to normal since she made no comment about it.

She shrugged as if it didn't matter.

"Did you see the lovebirds?" she asked looking at Nathan and Jessica with mild disgust.

"Yeah. I don't get him. He's too good to go out with her. When she breaks it off, he might cry."

I wasn't even kidding. He was like a girl inside. It wasn't a bad thing but he had to be careful.

A message came on the intercom. Surprise, it was for me. It had been a while though. This time I took my time getting there. I opened the door and the secretary pointed me to a door without lifting her eyes from her computer. When I opened the second door, I stepped back just in case. No one came tumbling out this time. I went in to find Jack and Jeremy there. Jack was just sitting on a desk staring out the window, a distant expression on his face. Jeremy was staring at the floor until I came in. he gave me a half smile before glancing at Jack.

Jeremy cleared his throat nervously before addressing me.

"Sorry to call you out Ellie. We have some stuff to give you."

I just nodded. I held out my hand as he placed an envelope in them.

"The Boss agreed to include you in this mission since it concerns you."

I opened the envelope. There were documents about the mutants, Dominic and the labs.

I looked back at Jeremy startled.

"You're seriously letting me work on this?"

He glanced at Jack again before nodding. I'm guessing Jack doesn't agree. I don't really blame him. It was mostly his mission.

Seeing as that was all they wanted, I turned to leave.

"Wait."

I turned back towards Jack. His face was inexpressive.

"We have a meeting today. Be there at four."

I nodded and left. I quickly walked away from that office past the secretary and down the hall. I didn't like the look in his eyes. They were so cold and distant like he didn't know me.

All the enthusiasm from this morning disappeared. I was planning on reviewing the files before the meeting. Bell rang before I got back to class so I swerved for the exit. A little fresh air could do me wonders. I started walking, lost in thought. I didn't notice anything around me until, like a sixth sense, I felt eyes on me. I continued walking while I tried to stretch my senses out. It was weird. I could hear the voices far away, sense the birds in the nearby trees. Without looking I knew someone was watching me from up ahead. When I reached the spot, I looked up into the branches of an old oak tree. There, perched on a branch, was Jack, staring right at me. The sunlight streamed through the bare branches caught in his hair and reflected off those beautiful eyes of his.