Chapter 4

Chapter 4

As I waited by my locker, I saw my friends begin to leave. I waved goodbye to some and Margo was surprised I wasn't going with them again. I had to explain that I had something important to do after school so I couldn't go with them. It took some persuading since Lexy was there too. Once they left, I decided to wait outside. I walked out the door and nearly slammed into someone who was coming in.

"Oh sorry," I said apologizing.

"We need to find a better way to meet," came a familiar voice.

I looked up, surprised, and smiled at him. It was good to see a friendly face especially if he's going to give you answers about what you are.

"Jack you're late," I said a bit grouchy because of my day.

"Sorry, I had a date," he said with a conspiring wink.

I rolled my eyes, thinking about what Melissa said about him just being an errand boy. He didn't seem to work or go to school.

"Do you ever have work?" I blurted out.

"Yes, as a matter of fact I do work. Just too late for you to know about," he said with a sly smile.

Hmmm. I wondered what kind of work he did or the others too for that matter.

"Let's get going. Everyone is waiting to meet you."

I followed him to the car while the students stared. Weirdly enough, I was getting used to the staring, but it was still uncomfortable.

Then the weirdest thing happened. Jessica came up to me and started to talk like we were best friends or something.

"Ellie, you never told me you had friends like these," she said not so discreetly eyeing Jack.

"I never knew I had to," I said not wanting to play around.

Jack intervened.

"I'm sorry but I'm Jack," he said introducing himself.

"I'm Jessica. Are you two going out or something?" She said glancing at me like I was something nasty she stepped on, then turned back to ogle Jack.

"Actually we ar-," I started to deny.

"Yes," Jack said.

Both Jessica and I gaped at him. What the hell was this now?

He put his arm around my shoulder and, waving goodbye to the stunned Jessica, steered me towards the car and helped me in. I didn't say a word until he was seated in the driver's side.

"What were you talking about?" I asked staring at him.

"Well, I got the feeling you didn't like her and that she was interested in me. So for a little revenge I said we were going out," he said calmly explaining.

I wasn't so calm. I was still stunned by the news but slowly getting over it. I found I was a little disappointed.

"Is that how you get rid of girls that are too clingy?" I asked.

"Well, I normally just say I have a girlfriend and they always want proof which I never have. But this could be a good idea," he said mostly talking to himself.

"What could?" I asked trying to keep up with his thinking.

"Using you to get rid of clingy girls. You just have to act like my girlfriend in front of other girls sometimes. Just for show," he said cautiously looking at me.

What did he say? Was he crazy? Why would I do that? I didn't even know him and my theory about him was right.

"I know it is crazy but think about it please," he said using his ability to read minds.

I sighed. Fine, I thought loud and clear for him to hear. He just smiled and set off on the road.

We drove in silence, but this time I didn't mind. I didn't feel like talking to him right now and I had to find a way to block him from my thoughts.

"I could teach you, if you want," he said.

I glared at him.

"Sure, that way I can have a little privacy," I said a bit pissed off because I couldn't think without being monitored.

"Ok, so here's a trick. Picture your mind is an open space. Then picture a wide barrier going around it, protecting it from whatever is outside."

I tried it. I closed my eyes to get a better concentration. Then put down the barrier like steel walls around my thoughts. I opened one eye and peered at him.

"Is it working?" I asked.

"Give me a minute," he said with a concentrated look on his face.

I concentrated on maintaining the barrier. It's not difficult but I guess it'll take practice.

"I can't hear a thing," he said looking a little smug.

Just because he taught me doesn't mean I'm going to do great on the first try. Anyone could have done it. It's not difficult.

The drive didn't last long, but I had no idea where we were.

When we got out, I took a look around. There wasn't much. The woods were hidden behind a tall concrete building. The building looked like any ordinary place. No one was outside. But there were a few cars parked outside, really expensive looking cars.

Jack walked towards the building and I jogged to catch up.

"So this is where you work?" I asked looking around sceptically. I was imagining better. Like a professional agency or something.

"Yeah and I see everyone is here," he said looking at the cars. "Even the boss is here," he said grinning.

The Boss. Now I was getting nervous. I wondered what he's like. If he was a tyrant in charge of everyone then it might be difficult to convince him about how to send me messages without having an emergency.

"Don't worry; everything will be fine," Jack said reassuringly.

"How did you...?" I asked I checked my mental barrier. It's still up. I feel it.

"Your face gives you away," he said explaining.

"Oh. I was just wondering what the big boss was like."

"Well don't be worried. He's a big teddy bear, but don't get him angry."

So he might listen to me after all.

"Who else is going to be there?"

"Most of your new team members. Noah and his team will be there too. Those two units normally work together on cases."

"I'm with Melissa right?" I said dreading the answer.

"Yeah, she's sort of your boss. Noah is head of his unit and is ranked a bit higher than her."

"Well, I was beginning to understand this system. So there was the big Boss, then they separated into units which have their own boss."

So I started at the bottom.

"You ready to meet everyone?" He asked looking at me.

I took a deep breath.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I said.