Chapter 13

Chapter 13

The rest of the day went by peacefully. When the last bell rang, I was in a good mood. I expected Margo to show up but she didn't. I went to wait for Jack outside. I saw Mel leaving and my good mood evaporated when I thought back to what had happened. Now I wasn't so happy to see Jack. Nathan was leaving. He had his eyes on Mel. He looked away when he saw me. What a weird crush. I felt relieved that he had been rejected by her. As if I was one to talk.

I saw the sleek black car pull up with Jack behind the wheel. He opened the door with a smile. I decided to not care about what he did with other girls. It wasn't any concern to me. I think that yet I knew I was gonna have trouble actually doing it. The best I could do was not to be jealous. I'm important to him in my own way. All this time I was thinking to myself, I made sure my mental barrier was up.

We didn't talk on the way. I watched him from the corner of my eye. He seemed completely relaxed. His messy hair falling on his face. He might need a haircut soon. His gorgeous eyes were concentrated on the road. He turned and caught me staring. His grin made his eyes sparkle with mischief. Damn it! I have got to stop staring at him. He could hypnotize with just his looks. His face was all I knew but I was sure the rest would live up to expectations.

I pointedly started looking anywhere but at him. When we arrived at the usual brick building, I was getting ready to get out but he didn't stop. He went around to another building, slightly smaller than the main HQ.

"This is the gym," he explained.

We went in and I was stunned to find that it was huge inside. There were blue mats on the floor; training equipment lined the wall, all looking brand new. Wow. There were dark blue doors on the opposite side of the room, most likely storage or changing rooms.

"This is where you train?" I asked still looking around.

"Yep. Ah, here come your trainers," he said turning towards the door.

Noah and...another guy whose name I completely forgot came in. He was a cute blondie with blue eyes and a friendly smile. I put down my mental barriers to ask Jack who he was again.

"That's Tom. Another one from Noah's unit," he whispered to me.

Oh, right. I then remembered him from when I was fighting with Jeremy.

A sudden thought occurred to me. He could only hear one person's thought at a time...so how does he always know mine when I drop the barriers without me looking at him? Does that mean he's always in tune with my thoughts? No, that's not possible. Why would he do that?

"Are you ready to start training?" Noah asked with a kind smile.

I didn't get it. How could a guy this nice go out with a person like Melissa? It was just wrong.

"Yep, I'm ready."

"Ok so this is going to be a partner training. You and Jack, me and Tom okay?"

I was expecting to be with Noah. I didn't even know Jack was gonna stay. Jack was just smirking at me.

"Uh...sure." I said suddenly unsure about this.

"So here are the rules: no cheap shots," he said pointing at me, "Try not to aim for sensitive areas and always stay one step ahead of your opponent. The first two do not apply when you are on the field."

Then we started.

First we had to do the warm up. 50 sit ups...I only did 20. I was still breathing hard when they finished. I was never the sporty type. I thought we were going to learn to fight. Jack didn't even break a sweat. None of them did. Next we had to do 100 push-ups. I couldn't finish...again. They were starting to sweat or should I say shine cause it sure didn't look like any one of them was even remotely tired. Jack took off his t-shirt and the others followed. I was transfixed.