Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Looking back at myself, I really could've acted better. I mean, I wasn't a stupid teenage girl or anything. I was better than that, still am. It's just, I was getting used to the new me and I would have to learn how to become the new me.

...

"Ok Jack, what can I help you with?" I asked.

"Well, actually, I'm here to help you," he said, taking me by surprise.

"Help me with what?" I said really not able to imagine that.

"You have noticed some changes in you lately haven't you?" He said looking me over.

How could he know? I wondered if he had something to do with it...

"No," he said startling me out of my thoughts.

"No?" I asked confused.

"Never mind just talking to myself," he said dismissively.

"Um...what did you mean by changes?" I asked uncertain if he really knew.

"I mean you feel better than before, stronger, faster and your eye sight has improved because I know you used to wear glasses," he stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

"How do you know that?" I asked dumbfounded. Was he some kind of stalker? I wouldn't mind but still...

"Because I've been through the same things," he stated.

Then he must know how confusing and disorienting it was. When I find Dominic, he will explain to me what this is, until then; I have to figure it out on my own. I spotted my bus coming and turned to tell him.

"I have to go my bus is coming."

"Well if you want I can give you a lift," he offered.

"Why would you?" I asked suspicious.

"Because I'm nice like that," he said with a smile.

"Sure, why not," I replied.

I'm sure most people would say "because he's a stranger that's why not". But they never saw this stranger's face or they too would accept. Well it didn't matter to me. I felt invincible that day. I didn't know it then but I was invincible or at least headed that way.

"Ok hop in," he said holding the passenger side door open for me.

"Thank you," I said feeling very happy for some reason.

I looked out the door and see my neighbour getting on the bus. I almost forgot about him. He looked my way before disappearing inside the bus.

Jack got in the driver side and started the engine. He started on the highway and it was silent. I didn't like this silence.

"You mind if I put on the radio?" I asked.

"Sure, go ahead," he answered, concentrating on the road.

He seemed lost in his thoughts somewhere. I wondered where.

I chose my favorite station and then listened as one of my favorite songs came on.

The drive was still silent but I wasn't going to start the conversation. I looked out the window as the trees flew by then stopped. We were at a stop light. He turned down the volume and looked over at me.

"Are you good in school?" He asked out of nowhere.

"Um...yeah, I guess. Why?" I replied a little surprised.

"Well if you weren't, another advantage was that you have better memory and concentration. I guess you don't need it. Mind if I come pick you up after school?" He asked changing the subject.