Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I wondered what happened to him. It was like good boy gone bad or trying. He had on a leather jacket and his hair was all messed up like he didn't care. Him, who was always taking care of his perfect hair, the leather jacket didn't suit him. He had a scowl on his face as he saw us. He put his hand around Jessica almost possessively. When she saw me staring at him, she got a smug look on her face.

"Hey Nathan," I greeted him.

He was still my friend...I think.

He just nodded in acknowledgement. Not even a hi. I preferred him before. Before Jessica that is. I had no idea what she did to make him into this stranger but I needed to help him out.

Jack was silent and impassive next to me. He was glaring. At first I thought it was towards Jessica but it was towards Nathan. Huh. What could make him angry at Nathan? Was it something he was thinking?

Jack suddenly grabbed my arm and started walking away pulling me with him. I started to protest but then I saw the look on his face.

When we were far enough that I couldn't see them anymore, we stopped.

"What was that?" I asked him.

"You have to stay away from them," he said sternly.

I frowned.

"What? Why?"

"Because I don't trust them," he said looking in the direction we came from.

"When have we ever trusted her?"

His mouth quirked up slightly.

"Both of them." He said seriously.

I still didn't get what the problem was. Nathan was a good guy so why couldn't I talk to him?

"I have to get to work now," he said kissing the top of my head before I could react.

I was still troubled. We had another meeting so I had to get my car not to mention training after.

The meeting was interesting. I was going to start working with the research team soon. Jack and his team had to scout out the old hideouts to see if anyone was still using them.

Training was intense. Going head to head with Noah was tough. It felt like revenge. Either way, I was sore by the end.

The rest of the week was more of the same. The days flew by after that. I was always busy with school, work and Jack. I didn't see Nathan much but I knew he was still with Jessica.

"So can you meet us on Saturday?" Margo asked as we were heading home from school.

I was absentmindedly chewing on a chocolate bar as we walked.

"Unfortunately, she already has plans for Saturday."

Jack joined us as we headed to the parking lot. I paused as I was about to take a bite and stared at him.

"We have a date princess," he said before biting off a huge piece of my candy bar.

"Hey, you ate the entire thing! You owe me another," I pouted.

Margo was openly laughing at us.

"Next time then," she said waving goodbye.

I agreed. Then I glared at Jack with his smug smile.

"What date?" I asked irritated.

"The one you agreed to after Halloween."

Did I ever do such a thing? It's already been more than a month since then.