While I donned my socks and shoes at the hallway, though, Henry’s bedroom door opened and a strange tension grew in the air. He advanced forth but I had no emotion to counter him.

“Come inside for a minute, Linnie.” His face was serious and his eyes searched mine for an answer.

“I’ve to leave for school now, Henry. Maybe another time,” I told him and made an attempt at side-tracking him. The hallway was too narrow for an escape though.

He clutched my wrist and literally dragged me into his room and my eyes puffed out in outrageous bewilderment.

He closed the door after him following a click. I raised a brow; definitely, I was not up for any demanding discussion in my current emotionless state.

“I’m not here to converse about the day-before. I consulted Paul on that matter and obtained every necessary detail.

“I’m here to inform you of our scheme.” He was alarming me by the second and my forehead creased in speculation. Perhaps Paul exaggerated on those events, coated with positive hatred towards both of them?

“What scheme…?” I dragged. My mind failed critically in conjuring assumptions to whatever he had planned.

He paused and his lips were set in a straight line. It was a common sight when he was bothered and deeply stressed. Out of nowhere I suddenly realized that I would miss him after the ‘big event’, should the latter have been the cause for any scheme even when the moments that we had spent together were lacking. I controlled myself at the onslaught of tears brimming on the rim of my eyes.

He seemed to have noticed the change of my demeanour and swiftly walked forth. I was momentarily startled when he pulled me into an embrace. Control, Linda… Control… But I could not compose myself and the tears began rolling down one after the other.

“Hush. Hush. It’s okay.” He pulled back and lifted my chin and I refused to look up. There was a knock at the door at that very moment and we stared wide at each other. I pointed my thumb behind the door and he understood.

While I remained concealed behind, Henry opened the door. It was after he had closed it that Paul’s view came in plain sight. He seemed to have known by instinct of my hidden whereabouts for he was looking directly at me.

“Have you confided in her, yet?” he rotated sideway upon which Henry shook his head in denial.

Now both of my brothers were regarding me and their looks stirred thoughts for the worst

“We’re going to call this marriage off, Linnie,” said Henry and my heart stopped beating. What were they indicating…?

“He’s not the right match for you. A menace and a worthless freak along with his sidekick companion, you don’t have to worry about it though. Leave it to us.” said Paul. Had they lost their minds?

“No,” I stated bluntly and reached for the door when I remembered it was locked. I frowned and crossed my arms over my bosom. This conversation was leading nowhere.

“Henry, Paul – I love you both and that’s why I ask of you to drop the topic. You can never change Sir Francis’ mind that’s set on the wedding and should he locate your antagonism towards it… Just picture the chaos he would create.” I looked from one face to the other and they were quiet for a miniature moment.

“We know who we’re dealing with, Linnie. Your reminders are absolutely un-necessary. Just be prepared while we stage out each phase of our plot, gradually – commencing today.” Having said that, Paul walked out of the door and Henry followed after.