Closer

I'm excited all the time.

I feel energized whenever I come to work. I look forward to walking inside the building, heading towards the 6th floor, striding through the bullpen and saying 'Good morning' to a pink-nosed Jho on a cubicle a few feet from mine.

She seemed to be clicking well with my friends. Therese took her out to lunch last Monday and now Trey spends more time on Jho's cubicle than mine.

It's been two weeks since she came to the firm and I've been looking forward to the end of the week. Jho and I agreed that I'll treat her to dinner tonight as a thank you for staying with me when I passed out. I was especially excited because it was the first time we would eat, just the two of us.

I tapped my foot impatiently while staring at the clock. When the hands struck 7, I almost jumped to my feet and gathered my things quickly. Then I went to Jho's cubicle and stuck my head inside.

"You ready?" I said.

"Almost." She packed up her stuff and stood up. "Let's go?"

"Where are you guys going?" Jamie called. She was standing behind us and we both looked at her.

"Ililibre niya ako tonight." Jho smiled, pointing at me.

"Wow. Can I co----" She started but Jia suddenly appeared. She wordlessly put her hand on Jamie's mouth and dragged her away.

"Weird." Jho said. "Tara?"

...

"Bukas pala, we're planning to watch a movie at my place. Therese said you should come with." I said. We were at the middle of our course.

She tilted her head to the side. "Si Therese lang?"

I don't get it. Nagpapacute na naman siya. I would say that she's flirting with me but she only does it from time to time.

Two can play at that game.

"Syempre gusto ko rin kasama ka." I took a sip of iced tea. "If it were up to me, tayong dalawa na lang sana."

"If it were up to you. Well, ayaw naman nating magtampo sila, di ba?" She coyly said.

"So you're not afraid of being alone with me?" I challenged.

She raised her eyebrows. "Try me."

We had a staring contest but it was interrupted by her phone ringing. She took one look at the phone and her mood suddenly darkened. She hit the power button.

"You're not gonna answer that?" I said.

She shook her head. I didn't pry anymore because she looked like she wasn't in the mood.

"Bill out na tayo." She said shortly.

On the ride home, her mood lightened up a little.

"Yan." I said. "Wag ka laging naka-kunot ang noo."

She rolled her eyes at me. "I'm not frowning! Resting bitch face lang talaga."

"Maybe not, but you do pout a lot." I noted.

"O, e anong problema dun?" She was hostile again.

"Don't do it so much. It makes you look cuter than you already are. Baka ma inlove ako." I stared at her.

She blushed and bit her lip. "Shut up and focus on the road." She said.

There it is. I grinned triumphantly.

Soon, we reached her unit. I let the car idle first.

"So, sama ka bukas?" I asked.

"Sure." She unbuckled her seatbelt. "Thanks for tonight."