Waking up.

When I finally wake up it takes me a moment to figure out where I am. I feel like I've been sleeping for 100 years and I hurt all over, but I'm more sure now, I'm definitely in the hospital. Bright lights glare down at me and the repetitive beep... beep... beep... from the machine next to me gives me confidence that I'm ok. For a little while I just stare up at the ceiling, remembering what happened... the meal, the girl, the fire escape and then the floor. Trust me to end up in the hospital on Christmas. A grip tightens around my hand; I hadn't even realised I wasn't the only person in the room. Its riley, it has to be, and I can't wait to see her bright smiling face. I can't wait to tell her that I'm ok. I turn my head slowly, I can tell I've been given something for the pain but it hasn't worked entirely, I still have a dull ache in my neck that sends a jolt of pain through my body when I move. To my surprise sat next to me in my hospital room is the wrong Matthews. His hand is in mine, his head resting on my bed, his eyes closed. His breathing is deep, slow, in... out... I'm mesmerised by his beauty. He looks so peaceful when he sleeps it's like there's enough for both of us. It feels like my problems, my pain and fear, they're just melting away in his peaceful sleep. Just as I was letting go of the hurt and the pain it all came back in a flash, the fall, the fire escape, why I was even on the fire escape, 'someday'. I pried my hand from his with enough force that he woke up.

"Maya. Oh my god. You're awake. I was so worried. We all were. Riley went home to shower and change; she's been here 2 days sat by your side. Do you want anything? Do you need anything? Should I go get the nurse?"
"actually..." my voice was hoarse after not speaking for what was apparently two days. "there is something that I want..."
josh interrupted me before i had a chance to actually ask, "you want a nurse? Some water? Food? There's a vending machine just down the hall, I can get you something if you like? Would you like me to call riley? Your parents haven't been able to get down yet but I can call them too if you want?"
"I want you to leave."