The Fall

I'm startled awake by a bright light being shone in my eye. My head feels heavy and feels like ive been hit multiple times with a sledge hammer. There's a ringing in my ear, but not just any kind of ringing, it's like the high pitched wail of a banshee and its piercing my ear drums. My vision is blurry and I can't lift my head. My whole body hurts like never before. I feel the world spinning around me, but its slowly coming into focus. I'm led on my back and the sky is above me, sirens blare in the background and I can hear somebody screaming my name. before I know it riley is at my side. I attempt to lift my head, to greet her, tell her not to worry, that I'm fine, but it doesn't go to plan. As soon as I move just the tiniest bit it's like thunder and lightning inside my head, it falls to the floor before I can lower it down. After that I don't try to move, I don't try to speak. Out of the corner of my eye I can see that everyone is here. Riley's at my side and Mr and Mrs Matthews are about a metre away with Auggie. Josh and Whitney (can I just say, what kind of stupid name is that??? Goes with her stupid face) are a little further away, but I think they're moving closer. I can't deal with this, everything inside me still screams run, I don't want to see them together, but my body won't cooperate, it can't. Instead I decide to speak.

"riles..."
"don't worry peaches, the ambulance is on its way. It will be here soon, I promise. Try not to move, ok."
"tell... tell them to... go. It hurts... I don't... don't want to see them... to see him. Pumpkin... I don't want to have to... to see that. Please." she gestured with her eyes towards josh and towards it as a tear rolled down her cheek.

For a brief moment Riley's grip on her hands tightened and then she was gone. She walked with confidence over to them and Maya can only guess that she asked them politely to leave, telling them that I would "appreciate it" if they left or whatever cute little way she decided to phrase it. I don't care, as long as she gets the message across. I want them gone.

I'm not sure what's happening anymore, my vision is blurry and the screaming in my ears is back. I can feel myself being lifted from the ground and there's somebody talking to me. I can't focus. I think the ambulance is here. I'm trying. I'm trying to focus, to listen to the voice, to do what its telling me to do, but it hurts to focus. It hurts to do anything. Instead I block out the world and drift off into what I feel is going to be a deep, deep sleep.