Waves

I sat on the edge.

Precariously.

My feet hovering ever so slightly above the blue ripples.

As they slowly dipped into the water I was met with bites not kisses.

Too cold.

It was in an instant the warm air embraced my body, wrapping me in the painful heat.

Inhale.

I submerged my shins and the biting returned, my feet were fine, the embraces of the clear blue waters softening my pain.

Exhale.

The bites grew on my knees when the waves gently lapped up around them, causing my body to shiver and shake, two pains mixing together.

I swayed my legs around the sky blue waters, elegant ripples forming around my legs with my toes poking out ever so slightly before dunking back under.

I gripped onto the wooden edge, my muscles tense as I lifted my body from the ledge above the water.

I edged into it slowly, the pain in my legs gone as the water rose up and up.

With a sharp gasp, I flung myself out again the biting worse on my stomach, the teeth sharp and digging into my skin.

The heat crawled up my back and constricted me.

The silence was broken again by the waves colliding and the occasional background noise of the plants rustling or a fly or bee buzzing around.

I climbed around the side to reach the ladder.

The silver metal was cool to touch and the water fell away, causing me not to slip.

I edged myself down into the surface, embracing the pain of the small waves and edged ever closer, deeper and deeper.

I could not breathe.

I could not see.

I could only feel the water and the cool metal on my skin, as I gently lowered myself further.

Inhale.

I let go only to stand and kept my eyes closed.

Exhale.

I grabbed on again and turned myself around.

Inhale.

This time it was sharp, like the cold.

I braced my body, my nerves electrifying my fear.

I let go again.

One foot out towards the other end of the pool while my other leg still stationary.

I brought my leg back.

I placed my arms on the surface, exhaling in relief.

My body needs to follow.

Without another thought, my mind clear like the water, I stepped forward.

I was dunked into the cold waters with a small splash, gasping for air, my nerves jolting in surprise of the cold.

I lowered myself to my chin and swam, the cold no longer harsh but soothing.

I sat in the water with my toes just sticking out and closed my eyes, sighing in relief and comfort.

The pain gone and the sun gently beating down on me.

Relaxation is about balance.

If you can balance the surroundings affecting your body, you can breathe softly.