Radio

"First position, derrière, pirouette!"

I echoed her words silently, with grace my body moved to the familiar rhythm of the piano.

"Third position, hold... now! Heels together, glide aaand jump!"

Again, my body echoed the words.

Only that nobody was here. Solitude.

Stillness

The scratching of the record on the gramophone.

I continued to twist and turn, my toes quickly tapping the wax wood flooring to the trill of the piano.

I lifted my arms gracefully above my head, keeping my posture in line and my face expressionless, I twirled and glided, barely off the ground, the gentle tune of the piano now joined by a chorus of strings.

I spread my arms out and leapt across the room, the mirrors catching my every move. As I touched the ground, my pumps making no sound, I made small jumps and turned to glide to the bar, my skirt flowing around me, the leotard freeing mt movements.

In the distance I could hear my name called.

I gracefully ran to the gramophone and stopped the twinkling piano, the record still turning silently.

I turned it off and hurried towards the voices in the other room.

My family were sat in the plush armchairs with solemn and panicked expressions, whilst mine continued to stay stoic, as if I was still dancing.

They all turned their attention to the radio, the BBC broadcaster saying words I didn't understand. And then it was heard.

"It has been announced by the Prime Minister, that Britain has declared war on Germany..."

Everything stopped.

I let my face stay emotionless, while my family were in shock, this news evidently unheard to them, despite the words they hushed over the dinner table.

That was it.

My dream was crushed forever.