Skyscraper

The city at night was a sight. The lights illuminating my whole world, the streets bright and full of life.

I could see everything up at the top. The tallest crystal tower in the emerald city.

Here at the top, where the bitter wind wails and bites as it flies past, I am at my most comfortable. I stand, watching over it all like a guardian.

I raised my arm and pointed outward, watching over the concrete sea. I'm the watchwoman, I look over and I wait, wait for my beloved to race up the crystal skyscraper to me.

I rose from sitting at the edge, my legs no longer dangerously dangling. Spreading my arms like a bird. My balance never failed me. The wind can't make me fall. The crystal skyscrapers like suits of armour blocking my view of the horizon and my beloved.

I would wear the most colourful outfit and watch the lights reflect like glass, when the sun rises, there are two suns, me.

I hope that my beloved spots my shining figure and rescue me in a cape.

She was a flame and I, a diamond. She was my second sun, we spun around together, so close yet so far. Our arms outstretched towards each other but our finger tips never touching.

She was a precious rainbow, a sight to behold but soon disappears when the clouds cover the sun.

I opened my arms wide, my cape flowing around me with elegance, the golden, star like wings striking out of my shoulder blades, wisps of gold and red flying out and away like the embers and ashes of a fire.

I am the white-hot diamond, she is my fragile glass, she could shatter if I just held her but she could slice me if I touched her.

She would look at me, but could never accept me. No. It could never be. My wings now flaming the colours of the rainbow, the golden flecks overcast by my love for her. She couldn't love me, she can't love the girl who shines like her, like then sun in the refracting and reflecting light from the crystal towers.

The watchman holds my shoulder, my pale brown hair flowing around me, looking for the familiar midnight blue locks.

As I felt his touch fade away, I turned my head to look behind me. I saw a familiar figure at the doors of the roof, I couldn't tell who, my long hair covered my vision in strips.

I stood and pushed my hair away and my eyes widened.

There she stood, my fragile pice of glass, my ocean, my everything.

Her cheeks tinted pink and midnight bluee hair flowing around her, she was a sight. She was the beauty I had seeked ever since our meeting in the Garden. My cheeks too, flushed red, my heartbeat picking up.

She stumbled towards me and I ran, catching her in my arms, I held her close to me, scared she would fly away like a feather.

I heard her gasp, out bodies pressed together as our heads rested on each others shoulders, the three words I had held in forever were on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't find my voice.

With a whisper, she herself said them, her warm breath making my ear tickle. I held her tighter to me, my glassy tears rolling down my cheeks and falling onto her back. We both laughed; no words, but laughter. The wind no longer biting but kissing us, the watchman smiling at us, the emerald city seemed like a dim torch compared to her, my sun, the burning love for each other was brighter than the lights of the city.

We pulled away, heat crawling to my already pink cheeks. We stared into each other's eyes, leaning in, our lips lightly brushing before I pull her to the doors, back into the warmth and down the stairs, descending into the city, the glass windows letting the moonlight and city lights illuminate the stairs, but we didn't need them, we had each other.

She was no longer a piece of glass, but a sparkling diamond, to match the raw white-hot diamond her hand holds.

We stopped once more, looking out again, turning to each other, her smile making my lips turn up and my eyes close and we giggle before leaning in, our lips colliding and our arms wrapping round each other for dear life; we could never let go of each other, our forbidden love overpowering all.