Chapter 50 - On The Road (Ansel Conrad POV) Pt.1

Start from the beginning

She nods furiously, "Yes. I mean the plant was found in 1880, but as soon as it was found it disappears Ansel. And it doesn't show up again until the late 1960's. Apparently, right after this plant is found again, soon after it goes extinct again!" Angela says animated.

"Then, they find it again, one single bloom in 2002."

I nod slowly as the pieces fall together. "It's a pattern."

"In the human world, but still... you heard Naomi," she jerks a thumb towards her back. "And also, it has never been tested either yet she says it keeps the mind safe."

How does she know that?

"Speak to her Ansel," Angela whispers in the night, bouncing in place. "I mean I looked up Cassia Tea and there is nothing about it online," I snort.

The faux shock on her face makes me chuckle silently.

When that moment of mock horror passes, she takes to steps closer to me. Resting her side against mine. "Are the others safe?" she whispers in the night. Placing my arm around her shoulders I hold her close, giving her the comfort she craves though I'm betting whom she really is longing for is Courtney and her kids.

"Yeah sis, they're safe." Her body deflates.

Another five minutes spent in silence and then we walk back to the bus, everyone following our lead. When I enter the bus, Kalenah is at the stove her back to Naomi who is sitting on the floor with the large trunk I witnessed her carrying back to the bus.

"Just in time," she smiles politely, touching the latches on the front of the trunk. Dented, the leather handles worn and locks nearly rusted she flips the first two locks before leaning forward and pulling off a silver chain from around her neck. Sitting in my spot from before, I watch as she takes a key, fitting it into a padlock on the front of the trunk, throwing the container open.

Instantly, the earthy lavender, lemon, cinnamon aromas hit me, a few I cannot identify on smell alone, but mom leave the seat next to my fathers, coming and leaning over Naomi's chest.

More than the smile on Naomi's face, I take in the great concentration that is there as well. It's strikingly abnormal. The intensity I see as she leans over, lifting a tray cover and setting it down before quickly going in again. When Naomi lifts the two-inch thick container, I see utensils, empty tea bags, wood spoons, and different strainers. Some tin cans sit stacked while there are some rounded containers with clear covers showing the multi colored herbs inside.

She stands putting them on the table, where mom looks like a kid at Christmas, her eyes gleaming down at the supplies

"Ohh," mom whispers her eyes bulging when Naomi removes the second lid. With great concentration and carefulness, she brings out an entire tray with nearly fifty rounded two- three inch tall containers each filled with seeds, powders, dried leaves and herbs with clear covers.