chapter 2

Malia's POV

It was..... It was mom, she with Diane.

They were arguing but still Mom was there, what was she doing there and then I saw the stupid smirk on Charlie's face. My moms worthless boyfriend. He didn't do anything to stop the argument, I hope Ben hasn't noticed.

I felt someone tug at my sleeves and I saw Ben pointing at the window. "Mom is in there Malia , we can't do anything because she will make you suffer this night" I looked at him and saw the fear in his eyes.

"Let's go home. I will make you something to eat and she doesn't know I work there so we are going to be fine" I reassured him.

"Alright let's go before she sees us here" he nodded and we practically ran out of there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By the time mom got home she was drunk again so I wasn't a bit surprised.
I heard the clattering of plates and heard the thumping of her foots as she climbed the stairs and opened my room door.

"Malia what happened to the food I made?" She slurred.

"Mom there was no food , we ate the last cereal for dinner. " I said

"Well what am I going to eat, you stupid girl, tell me I want to know"

I didn't reply then I felt her hands on my cheeks.

"What am I going to eat then Malia tell me. Your a mistake, you remind me of your useless father".

she slapped me again and wobbled out of my room. I can't cry anymore, I have to be strong not just for me but Ben also.

**

I woke up pretty early the next day, took money from my saving kit and went shopping for foodstuffs and bought some snacks for Ben then stocked the fridge.

I  woke Ben up once I had arranged everything, he lazily went to shower, then i stuffed his bag with the snacks and went to my room to change.

I wore a black body hug knee length dress and added my black sandals and pulled my hair in a messy bun, wore my glasses.

I locked my door. Walking downstairs  Ben and heading  out to the bus station.

*hours later*

School was finally over, I walked to the diner alone because dad had picked Ben up from school.

I walked into the diner, the bell rang above my head.

"Hi Roslyn " she smiled at me and I returned the gesture.

I pulled on my apron then started busting tables. The diner was really packed today and so I was really busy, the bell rang signalling another customer, I looked up but saw Ben instead after hugging Roslyn he came up to me and did the same.

"How's my little man?".

He didn't reply but ran to his corner to munch on the apple pie rose was bringing him.
He loves it, Roslyn the owner of the diner where I work is a really nice old lady, who keeps telling me am going to marry her grandson. Silly I know but all I do is smile when she says it.

"Hi Diane, am sorry about yesterday, no problem, I saw you guys and I couldn't do anything" I explained when Diane walked in instead of Dad.

"it's not your fault and I didn't tell your dad but someday your going to have to tell him about all of this" I only nodded.

"I have to go, I gave Ben two cell phones for both of you and my number is in there so call if you need me, alright?"

"Definitely"