Chapter 33: A New Neighbor

Katelyn and Zane locked the door to Zane's house. But they'd forgotten about her dad, who was sitting on the couch with Zane's saltines. As those two walked in, he stood up, setting the crackers to the side.

     "First of all," he began, strangely calm. "I think I'm okay with this. Sugarpea, if you really really like this gray boring... Zane-thing, it's fine. But-"

     Suddenly he stopped, as he saw that Zane was holding Katelyn's hand. He wasn't even sure that Zane and Katelyn knew that they were holding each other's hand. Instead of enraging him more, as it usually did, it reminded him of himself and Sylvana.

     "Did I ever tell you about my sugarpea as a little baby," wondered Katelyn's dad, pulling out his wallet. "Sylvana and I never had a chance to show everyone the baby pictures... Oh! Maybe Zianna has baby pictures t-"

     "NO!" chorused Zane and Katelyn, both with a horrified look on their faces. Also, they were still red from... the incident. At their house. After Katelyn accidentally knocked Zane out with her fists.

     "And we can have a SHOWDOWN!" continued Katelyn's dad, ignoring their protests. He wandered out of Zane's house, relocking it as he left. Zane and Katelyn gave the door a funny stare, because her dad was acting really strangely.

     "So..." Katelyn mumbled, flopping down onto the couch. "So do I sleep here again? I can't deal with Kawaii-chan and I'm only safe here... And... *yawn* I... I'm a little... tired... And... *yawn*... I just... Want... to just... Sleep..."

     "Sure..." Zane replied. Katelyn didn't say anything more... Bending down next to her, he saw that she was asleep... She was so cute when she slept. Then he stabbed his fingernail into his palm. He wasn't supposed to think like that! He was an EVIL person! Who thought like an evil person!

     "Speaking of which..." Zane whispered to himself, standing up and blinking, glancing at Katelyn. "My beautiful... girlfriend is next to me, asleep... And as the self-respecting, mature man that I am... There's only one thing that I can and should do... Ahaha..."

     Katelyn did not wake up, fortunately. And then Zane, happy with his work, went upstairs to get a good night's sleep. Kind of.

     "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" yelled Katelyn, as Zane woke up, drenched.  Zane spluttered, wiping his wet hair to the side. He looked up at Katelyn, who stood over his bed, a now-empty bucket clenched in her hands.. She yelled, "Do you see this? Why in the name of IRENE would you do that?"

     "I'm sorry!" yelped Zane, jumping up, out of his soaked bed. He hid by the window. "I thought it was a good idea at the time and I still do! No regrets-don't-kill-me! I think you look fine... Ehehehe..."

     "You drew WHISKERS on my FACE!" yelled Katelyn, planting her hands on her hips. "AND WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY EYE? And in SHARPIE? YES! I tried to wash it off! AARGGH! You are SO immature!"

     "It was funny!" Zane protested. "And it still is! It's hilarious! SORRY DON'T KILL ME!! And now my bed is all soaked and I have to dry it! I'm not the immature one here.... Yeah I heard it too. Don't rub it in... Well... At least I didn't do anything else..."

     "The fact that you say that," snorted Katelyn, folding her arms. "Means... WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

     "I ALSO DREW THE WORDS 'KICK ME' ON THE BACK OF YOUR NECK," confessed Zane, scared. He backed up against the window. He peeped, "In Sharpie..."

     Throwing up her hands and yelling, "SPEECHLESS!", Katelyn marched out with her bucket. Zane let out a breath of relief and followed her. She was scary sometimes. He could help her wash it off. Luckily she didn't know he already had pictures of her after he'd drawn on her face.