Chapter 22: Very Good Hiding Spots

The next day, Katelyn decided to see if Zane was okay. They'd left the previous night, not knowing if Zane had run home or something. He had. Katelyn's dad had also returned to wherever he'd been staying. 

     Katelyn knocked on Zane's door, hearing him brace against the door with his body. Zane refused to let up the door, which, Katelyn realized, might be a precaution against the possibility of his visitor being her father.

     "It's me, Katelyn," Katelyn explained through the door. "Are you okay?"

     The door unlocked, and Zane opened it. He answered, "I'm fine... It's surprising how fast you can run when you're threatened. Why'd you guys leave without me, though?"

     "Oh... We didn't know where you were, and besides, you got home all right," explained Katelyn. She smirked, saying, "Even though I didn't think you were strong enough to make it home on your twig legs, we let you run around."

     "Gee, thanks," grumbled Zane. "That makes feel really good. Why are you here... i'm fine. Besides... your dad... Is he somewhere... like hiding or something?"

     "No," Katelyn snorted. "But he's going to come over to my house for lunch. I think he's more comfortable at my house because.... everyone is a girl..."

     "So why are you here? I'm a little busy watching my- uh... My car shows to irritate Aphmau... I don't think she's seen..." Zane muttered, trailing off. "So why are you here, Katelyn?"

     "Because," Katelyn stated, rolling her eyes. "I want to not be hounded by Kawaii-chan right now. Thanks to you, she's been in a fangirl coma for a while." Katelyn shoved past Zane and plopped herself down on the couch, very much at home.

       "What did I do?" protested Zane. He sat down apart from Katelyn, like he was a afraid her father would randomly pop up and yell at him. "It's not like I declared that we were dating or any- OH... That. Well... What did you expect me to do? Lie?"

     "Yes!" sputtered Katelyn, scrolling through her phone. "It's not that hard! Just say... No, I don't like you at all! In fact, we're not even close friends!"

     "Say that to my face," challenged Zane. He leaned over and looked at Katelyn very seriously in the face. "I don't lie about my... admittedly few... emotions. Do you?"

     "I... don't like you," said Katelyn pointedly, uncomfortably, pulling a face. "There. Lied to you. Don't look at me like that. You look like you're considering how to dismember me in the neatest way possible."

     "That was so illegitimate even a bush wouldn't believe that," snorted Zane. He smirked at her, looking a little relieved. "Well, I'm glad you don't lie about how you feel that much... Though you managed to keep your crush on Travis a secret for a while, even after getting to Love-Love Paradise, and you two were as good a-"

     "Shut up!" ordered Katelyn, flushing red. "That was SO long ago that I don't- Pffffft! Besides, I didn't like Travis that long... Just for a little while..."

     "Like ever since... high school?" snorted Zane. He smirked and  jumped back as Katelyn tried to punch him. "I mean, all those Travlyn shippers. Love the ship name. I mean y-"

     Katelyn slapped him across the arm really hard, making a noise even though he was wearing a jacket. Zane scowled and flicked her in the forehead. Katelyn slapped the top of his head. They glared at each other for a cold moment, then burst into laughter.

     "Besides, I don't like Travis anymore," puffed Katelyn, blowing her hair from her face. She raised an eyebrow at Zane. "Because that wasn't like like, that was a crush. And crushes don't last long. They're months of slight infatuation. The type of... feeling... I have... now... is different. More."