Chapter 20: The Visit

A week later, Katelyn was at her own house for once, instead of hanging out at Zane's house and throwing insults at Zane like popcorn balls. Katelyn felt bored and was surfing the internet when the door suddenly banged open.

     "SUGARPEA!" Katelyn's dad yelled from downstairs. "I'M HERE FOR THE VISIT! HOW YA DOIN, SWEETIE?"

     Katelyn dropped her head onto the desk. She yelled back, "I'M FIIIINE!"

     Her dad barged into the room, waving his arms and yelling something. Katelyn twisted her head to the side and raised an eyebrow inquisitively. She sat up and looked at her dad, who was still yelling something. 

     "Katelyn, sugarpea," continued Katelyn's dad, slowing down a little. "Do you get out enough? I mean, you seem to be staying inside an awful lot."

     "Yeah, uh..." Katelyn answered. "I actually take walks a lot, like back and forth around the street to Z- I mean to exercise. Yeah. Uh..."

     "To... Well, yeah, that's great, sugarpea!" Katelyn's dad said, dismissing the backtrack as an accident. Katelyn tried to keep her face normal - three sentences in and she'd already almost given away that she liked a boy.

     "Katelyn!" Aphmau yelled, barging into the room halfway through her sentence. "Zane wants to know why you're not answering his t-" She saw Katelyn's dad and froze in her tracks.

     "Zane? Zianna's boy?" asked Katelyn's dad, squinting suspiciously. "What does he want with my Katelyn? What's going on here?"

     "He- Uh... I meant... I - Uh... Uh... I was going to say... Uh... Uh- Trivia questions! Yeah! Uh... Katelyn and Zane uh... Have a competition. Yeah, and... They, uh... answer questions without using google or the internet and... whoever finishes each question first wins that round!" improvised Aphmau, looking up and flapping her hands a little. 

     "Uh, yeah. Totally," Katelyn added, raising her eyebrows. "I didn't realize he had another question for me, Aphmau. Maybe he should see whose in the house with me before coming and telling me things other people shouldn't know about... APHMAU..."

     "Huh?" Aphmau wondered. Then she got it. "Oh! Right. Sorry. Uh. I. Uh. Bye!"

     She ran out of the room, texting everyone, KATELYN'S DAD IS HERE! SAY NOTHING ABOUT ZANE! and trying to quietly run to Kawaii-chan's room. Katelyn's dad tilted his head and considered whatever had just happened.

     "Katelyn, sugarpea... What do you mean by that?" wondered Katelyn's dad. "Well, you are awful competitive...  But... Why with this boy? What business do you have with boys? Why would you even talk to boys?"

     "Because," Katelyn answered. "I am a normal person. Also, I am both single and straight."

     "Wait- What?! Do you mean you're looking for a boyfriend?" demanded her dad. "No! And even if I allowed it, sugarpea, you doing it without me?"

     "Uh... I'm not looking for a boyfriend," Katelyn replied. She thought in her head, Because I might already have one. If he survives the weekend. "And you don't need to help. Really. You don't..."

     "Nonsense!" Katelyn's dad said, patting Katelyn on the back. "Just don't get a boyfriend! You don't need one! But, since you seem to be talking to boys, I wanna see what kinda boys you talk to! Sugarpea, didn't Aphmau say you talk to Zianna's boy quite often? Let's go meet him!"

     "Wait what?" Katelyn backtracked. "No! Not at all! I don't talk to him usually ever! So we can just stay here and do nothing, maybe go have dinner. No seeing Zane! Nope!"