Chapter 1: New start

Start from the beginning

Recess break was probably the only time Michael felt okay. The kids didn't really seem to bother him unless he was out of his seat in the cafeteria. They were too busy about who was sitting in the cool table, the Goth table, or the nerd table. Michael? He sat on his own table, the one with the wonky opposite seat; no one ever bothered him there.

Each kid was lined up the moment the hall of the cafeteria was opened, with their royal blue trays and their appetites for nothing but shit, he looked past the food offered and chucked his tray on the cleaning pile. He sat down in his wonky table. He couldn't be fucked with eating today. He pulled out his scribble paper and doodled a bit losing himself in his thoughts.

"What are you drawing?" Someone behind him asked.

A tall guy with short brown hair stood behind him in jeans and a blue T-shirt. He hadn't seen him before. Maybe he was a new transfer.

"Um... nothing really." Michael mumbled embarrassed.

He looked at Michael with curious eyes and sat down, the seat wobbled underneath him and he made a puzzled look.

"That seat's broken, I wouldn't sit there." Michael said softly, not eyeing the boy.

"It's okay; I think I can handle it. Why aren't you eating lunch? It looks like you could afford it." The guy said, smirking.

He took his sandwich out of his bag. Michael looked up staring at him and trying to figure him out. He had full lips and long dark lashes. He had beautiful green eyes. He was actually very handsome, was this some kind of joke? What was he doing here?

"Hello?" The guy said, dragging out the 'o' and waving his hand in front of him.

He smiled awkwardly but also, it was cute.

"Do I know you?"

"Nope, I'm new. I moved here in the holidays and now I go to this school. Oh I'm Casey by the way." Casey said with a smile.

He spoke so soft with a high-pitched squeak to it. Michael paused maybe a bit too long, his eyebrow was starting to arch.

"I'm Michael. But everybody calls me Mika." Michael replied softly.

He was stretching out his hand to shake. He shook it looking at him like he was a bit strange.

"You don't shake hands with people at school idiot."

"That's a weird name."

"So is Casey." He was looking at his eyes for signs of hurt. "Actually it's not, you're right my name is weird sorry."

"I didn't mean it in a nasty way; I was just making small talk. How come you sit alone?" Casey asked, cocking his head to the left.

"Because I'm the mental case with a chick's name." Michael replied in a monotone tone.

His eyes showed he was confused but also curious. He looked away then sighed.

"Well, I think it's cool."

Wait what? Michael looked up, piercing his eyes into his. Cool? No one had ever referred that word to him, not even close unless it had the word 'not' before it.

"Thanks." Michael mumbled.

♂+♂=♥

That night, Michael was lying on his bed staring at the ceiling thinking about his day. It was the first time he was actually curious about going to school the next day, hoping secretly that Casey would sit with him again at recess. But a part of him was telling himself he would be told that he's a freak and make new, cooler, and popular friends. He sat up and looked at his computer screen. He got on it and looked up Casey on Facebook. He felt a little weird stalking him at first, but he found him pretty quickly. Now was the hard part; does he send a friend request? He shook his head leaving the computer on as he jumped into bed, kicking off his pants and socks as he slowly fell asleep. A thought was floating in his mind about his past bullying that drove him into a suicide attempt, flashes of his episode of deep wrist cutting came as he tossed and turned.

Was this really fair, at all?

♂+♂=♥

Picture of Michael ~~>