Chapter 31

-Sasha-

Family always brought people together. That’s why we used to all meet here for the holiday season. It was always my favourite. My cousins and I used to be close until we stopped coming here. Mum didn’t tell me why, and I let it slide. I was too devastated to bother asking for the secret she purposely hid from me. But over the years I forgot about the excitement I had here and I didn’t want to come back.

But now I remember what I felt when I was young. I knew now I wanted to come back here every year, I wanted it to be a routine so badly. Especially for my child to experience too.

There were four of my cousins coming today. Daniel is eighteen and he was always the one that looked out for me here. He would always be the leader of us when we went up to snowboard. I looked up to him, he made me feel safe.

Lara is sixteen, a year younger than me. Even though Daniel was the one I looked up to, Lara was like my ‘snow best friend.’ We were inseparable here and did the exact same thing. We would both have hot cocoa together with the exact same amount of mini marshmallows. We would always be on the same team when playing games and when one of us was in trouble, we would give ourselves the same punishment to make it fair.

Tyson was too young to snowboard with us and I only really saw him when we were back in the house. He is eleven now and from what I see in pictures, ‘cheeky.’ I couldn’t wait to see him; I wanted to know what he was like. I guess I could never tell at a young age and barely sat with him. He was always playing with his cars on the carpet or with his mum.

And then there was Max. I had met Max once when we went to visit him at the hospital when he was a few days old. I only saw my Auntie and Max that day, not my uncle or other cousins. Max is two now and adorable. I knew I’d spend a lot of time nursing him because of my current pregnancy. It would feel comforting to hold him and get to know what it’s like.

I sat back on the couch waiting for them to arrive. Justin’s arm was around me as we snuggled up and watched television. They should be here in the next twenty minutes and I didn’t know whether to be nervous or excited, so I was both.

“Justin?” I whispered, peering through my lashes.

“Mmm?” he mumbled, wrenching his eyes from the show to look down at me.

“What if they judge me and don’t want to talk to me.”

He gave me a deep throaty chuckled and pulled me closer, placing a kiss on my head. I frowned at him and he sighed and half smiled knowing he had to continue the conversation.

“They’re your cousins and if they love you as much as you love them, I’m sure they’ll accept it. Just give them a chance to process it. They’re going to react, but they’ll understand once it sinks in...”

“I guess you’re right, but what if they don’t love me that much...”

“Who couldn’t love you? And besides, what I hear about the stories they do. If Lara didn’t love you would she sit with you in time out even when she did nothing wrong?”

I smiled to myself knowing Justin really listened to the stories I told him about me and cousins staying here. It meant he cared about me enough to listen to me ramble on for half an hour about my childhood.

“Guess not.”

A car horn made me jump up from Justin’s arms. They were here and butterflies were going off crazily in my stomach.

“It’s going to be fine, I’ll be right beside you.”

I smiled as Justin took my hand and lead me to the door where Auntie Laura was standing. She walked down the steps to greet them but I waited with Justin by the door. Daniel was first to step out of the car. He was tall, taller than Justin and I. When he yelled out, ‘finally were hear,’ while stretching I could tell how deep his voice was. When I last saw him, I don’t think he had hit puberty yet. He had always been taller than me, but not that much taller.