Chapter 8

I pulled on my black skinny jeans, struggling to get them on. Once on I pulled on a purple jumper which went well with my jeans. I left my long blonde hair out natural today, falling halfway down my back. I slipped on my favourite pair of converse and looked over myself in the mirror. I looked casual, I loved wearing this outfit. I applied the usual amount of mascara on my long eyelashes and my favourite strawberry lip gloss onto my plump lips. I pulled my book bag over my shoulder and made my way out the front door, making my way down the street, heading off to school.

I passed the spot where Justin had dropped me off last night and found myself smiling. What was wrong with me? A pregnancy test can’t get me out of my rule. I wanted to stand by it, no boys, not until the end of high school.

I kicked a rock along the path, letting it bounce ahead of me. I had been lost in my thoughts alot lately, I have kept to myself. I’m worried about this Justin situation. If the results come back positive, that means I am pregnant with Justin’s child. The boy I claimed I’d never have anything to do with.

I jumped, startled when a loud car horn went off beside me. I looked over my shoulder, having a look if I knew who it was. A small smile formed on my face when I noticed the familiar car; it was Ally. She waved her hand, signalling me to get in the car. I did as told, prying open the car door and sliding in, sitting on the black leather seat.

“Hey girl, how have you been since the party?” Ally asked in a cheerful voice, starting up the engine and pulling out onto the road.
“Good.” I lied, not looking directly at her. “What about you?”
“Really good, never better. My parents are still in Paris for a few more days so I can pretty much do whatever I want.”
“Sound’s good.” I replied, not really engaging in the conversation.

We came to a halt outside school, feeling nervous now. What if the school knows about the party incident with me and Justin?

“Are you getting out or staying in there all day?” Ally asked, standing beside my door now.

I snapped out of my thoughts and got out of the car, throwing my book bag over my shoulder. I followed Ally, trying to keep up with her confident, fast pace towards the building. I tried to copy the way she walked but it didn’t feel right, I wasn’t as confident as she was. She was stylish, popular and I was hiding from boys, the girl whose heart is falling to pieces.

I gave little waves occasionally to people walking past, saying ‘hello.’ Nobody was giving me weird stares or whispering as I walked by so I assumed nobody knew. I stopped outside my locker, unlocking it and opening the door. A folded piece of paper slipped out, fluttering to the ground and landing beside my shoe.

I picked it up and opened it, revealing a small letter in un-familiar handwriting.

‘Meet me at the front of the school at lunch, - Justin.’

I read it over a few times, my eyebrow raised the whole time. Did I really want to go spend time with him? I kind of had to be nice to him, in case I was actually carrying his baby. I put the note back in my locker and took out my maths text book. I slammed my locker shut and made my way off to class, not wanting to be late.

***

I stood outside school, my arms folded across my chest. I looked around, searching for Justin. He showed up after five minutes, walking over to me quickly.

“Sorry I’m late,” he apologised. “I got us lunch.”
I nodded understanding and he absentmindedly took my hand, pulling me through the car park. I let go of his hand after a few moments and he looked at me for a moment, before accepting it and continuing to walk.

“Where are you taking me, Justin?” I asked as we stopped outside his black range rover.
“Just want to talk to you, there’s music in my car and-”
“You know, I don’t like you like that just because of Saturday.” I snapped.
He looked at me slightly shocked at what I had said, “I know, Sasha. I just want to talk, get to know you. I don’t expect you to like me like that at all. I just thought you would rather talk with me where people can’t see...”
I felt bad now, “Sorry, uh yeah, sure.”

I got into his car, sitting in the passenger seat, my lunch on my lap. He shut the doors and put some music on low, taking a bite of his sandwich. He gave me a small smile, probably hoping I would start the conversation. I didn’t, I just awkwardly looked at my hands.

He sighed; “What do you have against me?”
“Nothing, it’s not you, it’s me.”
“How cliché,” he chuckled. “Then what’s wrong? You can trust me...”
“You promise not to laugh or tell a soul?”

He nodded, telling me that he wouldn’t tell anyone and I believed him.  From what I knew about him in the last few days he’s not such a bad guy, I knew he would keep a secret. I felt nervous, I was about to talk about my feelings with the last person I’d want to share them with. Well, coming from last week, he was.

“Did you see me run off at prom?” I asked him.
He looked up, nodding. “Yeah?”
“My boyfriend broke up with me, I didn’t even see it coming, it was all so sudden.”
He gave me an apologetic smile, “Sorry to hear, why did he do that?”
I sighed, “I don’t know, I wished I did. But that wouldn’t have affected me as much if it was the first or second time...”
“What do you mean?” He asked, looking puzzled.
“Every boy I fall for breaks my heart.”

A tear escaped, slipping down my cheek. Followed by a few more and after a few moments, many tears were streaming down my face. I felt Justin’s thumbs wiping them away, his close dangerously close to mine now. I sat still, my breathing becoming un even, my heart racing.

“Don’t cry; I’ll make sure no more guys break your heart.”

I stopped crying, holding back the tears. Did he really mean what he just said? I shifted out of his grip and he moved away, his eyes still on me.

“Well that’s why I made up a ‘no boys,’ rule. I can’t date or be with boys until the end of high school...”
“That’s stupid.”
I frowned, “No it’s not.”

He got a weird smirk on his face suddenly, making me worried.
“Justin?”
“Yeah?”
“What’s with the creepy grin?”
“Can I take you somewhere after school tomorrow?”

Tomorrow was Friday, so mum would be fine with me getting home late. I sighed and nodded, agreeing to go where ever Justin was going to take me tomorrow.

“Great,” he grinned.