Chapter 31 Recovery

Emily

~~~

The battle ends quickly and my feet soon touch the blood drenched ground near my lover.

"Emily there is hope for Kili and I yet," Alex calls as soon as I land. I nod in acknowledgement and once again kneel by Fili's side.

"That is good, no more blood needs to be spilt this day," I reply softly and gently pat Fili's face. It hasn't sunk in completely yet, that he's truly gone.

"Is it over?" Alex inquires and holds a rock to support her as she gets to her feet.

"Yes it's over, all the orcs are dead. I won't say the battle was won, how could it be a win? Too many have been lost," I mumble and wipe away the tears pouring from my eyes.

Silence falls over us before Alex clears her throat.

"Do you regret it? Coming I mean. Do you regret coming on this journey?" she inquires and I inhale deeply.

"I can't bring myself to regret this journey. If I had never come I would have never met Fili, I I hadn't met him I wouldn't have liked him, if I hadn't liked him I wouldn't have loved him, but I did, I do."

~~~

Allie

~~~

"Stupid dwarf," I grumble and release my hold on Thorin. "You never listen."

"D-did you just call me stupid?" a hoarse and quiet voice questions and I jolt. My gaze finds Thorin's open blue eyes and I cry in relief.

"Yes I did you stubborn dwarf," I reply and joyously kiss him. I hold to his chest garb tightly as if he could slip away at any moment. "Never leave me."

"I'm too stubborn to leave," he says when I pull away for air. "I did promise to make you my queen." I smile through waves of happy and sad tears and drape myself over him. My wings shield us both from the world.

"I'm honored."

~~~

Alex

~~~

Emily and I sit in an awful silence for a long while until elven healers come for us.

Emily is hauled off in a stretcher wailing and screaming about leaving Kili, Tauriel follows on the next stretcher, I have them take Kili next, and then I am, leaving behind Fili. With all the wounded the dead aren't a priority.

During the bumpy ride down I fade in an out of consciousness only filling coming to when we entered the city.

"Alex! Alex!" a familiar voice yells making me turn my head to see Natalie running up. She walks along the stretcher and reaches up to touch my forehead. "You live!"

"Many others don't, make sure the bodies get off Ravenhill," I cough out and Natalie nods.

"You make sure to keep breathing," she says before dashing off and barking orders at the able bodied elves.