Chapter 6 Lakemen

Grace

~~~

Bard instructs the people to gather everything left that's useable. Tilda clings to Sigird shaking violently. Bain helps an old woman pack up the small items she managed to rescue.

I just stare at the town. It's utterly destroyed.

I feel awful for them.

"Take only what you need, we have a long march ahead," Bard yells.

"Where will you go?" Legolas inquiries to Bard.

"There is only one place," Bard replies sending a long look to the Lonely Mountain.

"The Mountain? You are a genius, Sire. We can take refuge inside the Mountain. It might smell a bit of dragon, but the women could clean that up. It's be safe and warm and dry, and full of stores, bedding and clothing, the odd bit of gold," Alfrid muses greedily. His voice makes my skin crawl.

"What gold is in that Mountain is cursed. We will take only what was promised to us, only what we need to rebuild our lives," Bard snaps back and hands dry wood to Alfrid. Alfrid glares and stomps off.

"Pathetic man," I mutter under my breath.

"News of the death of Smaug will have spread through the lands," Legolas points out and Bard nods.

"Aye."

"Others will now look to the Mountain for its wealth or its position," I add. There is sure a scuffle to come of this.

"What is it you know?" Bard asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Nothing for certain. It's what I fear may come," Legolas answers.

"Keep your family close Lakeman," I advise.

~~~

"You saw something out there?" Tauriel whispers to Legolas and I.

"The orc we pursued out of Lake Town, I know who he is. Bolg, the spawn of Azog the Defiler. A wargpack was waiting for him on the outskirts of Esgorath. They fled into the north. These orcs were different from the others, they bore a mark I had not seen for a long time. The mark of Gundabad," I relay darkly.

"Gundabad?" Tauriel inquires with a titled head. That is right she is younger than Legolas and I.

"An orc stronghold in the far north of the Misty Mountains," Legolas explains.

Suddenly loud hoofbeats interrupt our conversation. Feren, a messenger for Thranduil, rides up.

"My Lord Legolas and Lady Grace I bring word from your Father. You are to return to him immediately," Feren reports in elvish. I tilt my head in understanding to him and glance at Legolas.

"Come, Tauriel," Legolas says to her and she turns.

"My Lord...Tauriel is banished," Feren stammers. I stop short and stare. No way Thranduil banished Tauriel.

"Banished?" Legolas and I gasp. Feren nods with a scared look.

"You may tell my father if there is no place for Tauriel, there is no place for me," Legolas snaps.