Chapter 10 Bargains

Allie

~~~

The weight of all the jewelry is heavy but my thoughts and heart weigh more.  The necklace burns against my skin as it glows. It's not mine, none of this is.

I stand off to the side and watch as the dwarves finish up boarding the gate. I've been standing off to the side pretty often lately. Thorin has turned me into a living trophy to show his newfound wealth.

"Nice going lads, nice work. Come on!" Thorin shouts and leads them up the stairs to the balcony. I of course follow behind loyally. Fear has grown in my heart since Thorin has shown signs of sickness, and now I've become almost apathetic.

"Oh no," I gasp when I look over. An elven army is in Dale and Bard rides towards us. I know Bard, I know he'll try to bargain. I also know Thorin, I know he won't bargain while in his current state of mind. I hear Thorin growl and watch as Bard comes closer.

"Allie can you do something?" Lacy whispers to me. "Anything to stop what I know will happen next."

"I'm not sure. I can try," I say. I leave out the fact that I'm scared. With all that I've been through I'm so disappointed in myself for even being scared of Thorin. There's just something about him that just makes me feel vulnerable.

"Be cautious Allie," Emily adds in a small voice. "I can feel the tension."

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain. We are glad to find you alive beyond hope," Bard shouts up cordially. Bless his politeness.

"Why do you come to gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" Thorin snaps eyeing the incoming army wearily.

"Why does the King under the Mountain fence himself in like a robber in his hole?" Bard counters smartly. Trying to diffuse some anger I place a hand on Thorins arm.

"Perhaps it is because I'm expecting to be robbed," Thorin retorts and shrugs my hand off. I should say something.

"My Lord, we have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?" Bard inquires.

"I will not," Thorin growls. Bard doesn't hear and I silently thank the Valar for it.

"Thorin please just speak with him. Please," I murmur. "I'm sure he doesn't want much. Thorin please."

After a long moment Thorin sighs and stomps down the stairs to where there's a small opening in the wall. I tiptoe behind him and eavesdrop on their words.

"I'm listening," Thorin grumbles:

"On behalf of the people of Lake-town, I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure, so that they might rebuild their lives," Bard states politely. Bard has diplomatic skills too bad they won't work on Thorin.

"I will not treat with any man, while an armed host lies before my door," Thorin argues.

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms," Bard threatens. Oh no that will surely anger Thorin. I quickly walk up behind Thorin and touch his shoulder.

"And your threats do not sway me," Thorin remarks.

"What of your conscience?" Bard asks and locks Thorin in a cold stare. "Does it not tell you our cause is just? My people offered you help and in return you brought upon them only ruin and death."

"That is true Thorin," I remark. "Bard brings up valid points Thorin."

"When did the men of Lake-town come to your aid but for the promise of rich reward. A bargain was struck!" Bard points out. I shoot Bard a look. I really wish he would just let me handle this.

"He is right Thorin. We did promise," I utter.

"A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food. To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom. You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the dragon-slayer, why should I honor such terms?" Thorin questions with heavy spite in his voice.

"Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?" Making a split second decision I yank Thorin away from the opening.

"Think about this Thorin. Please just think before you speak," I beg. "Your next actions mean more than you think." Thorin looks at me and then at the company with a blank stare. He's thinking at least.

"Begone! Ere our arrows fly!" Thorins suddenly shouts at Bard. My stomach drops and I gulp. I rush back to the hole in the wall and watch as Bard leaves in anger.

"BARD WAIT! WAIT!" I scream but he ignores my calls. With a deep sigh I let my head hit the wall in frustration. I believe that was the last chance to fix this. I'm so exhausted and tired of this.

"What are you doing? You cannot go to war," Bilbo comments plainly. I lift my head and turn to see the company all staring with mixed expressions on their faces.

"This does not concern you," Thorin huffs.

"Excuse me, but just in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of Elves out there. Not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. We...we are in fact outnumbered," Bilbo proclaims and crosses his arms. Oh Bilbo he has grown so much. He's gained so much courage since the start of the journey.

"He's right Thorin we cannot risk a battle right now," I add.

"We also shouldn't fight our allies," Emily advises with a shrug. Her words should hold weight as the future princess.

"It's completely unadvisable to fight when you're back in a corner," Jacob utters.

"So to sum our situation up were at a strategic disadvantage and we are so unbelievably outnumbered we will no doubt all die if we even try to fight," Alex huffs. "Just fucking great."

"Not for much longer," Thorin says with a smirk.

"What does that mean?" Bilbo questions with a shocked look.

"It means, Master Baggins, you should never underestimate Dwarves. We have reclaimed Erebor. Now we defend it."

~~~

"Thorin? You asked after me?" I state calmly and cautiously approach him. Thorin sits on his throne looking half dazed and half sad. "What's wrong?"

"I'm sick aren't I?" Thorin concludes and raises his gaze to look at me.

"You're not sick. You're just trouble is all," I reply and move closer to him. Carefully I reach out and take his hand. "You're my hero Thorin that's how I know you'll straighten out. You can fix this."

"But I'm acting like my grandfather. How can I be your hero when I've lost my mind?"

"You'll always be my hero even though you've lost your mind."

"On the first page of our story the future seemed so right then things turned out so evil....I don't know why I'm still surprised."

Tearfully I kiss Thorin in hopes to take away some pain or some sadness.

"I'll fight it as hard as I can Allie."