Chapter 9 Necklace

Emily

~~~

Nervously I hold the glowing necklace in my hand and examine it. Natalie told me this necklace was made for Thranduil's wife but she died before it could be given to her.

"Why do you have that?" Natalie asks in an almost hostile voice. I jump and whip around to face her.

"You told me about it so I grabbed it to give to you so Thranduil could have it," I explain in a rush.

"I appreciate that I do, and I'm sure he would too but if Thorin sees you with it he will lose his mind, so you have to put it back," Natalie whisper yells. The dots connect in my head and suddenly I'm scared of him.

"You are so right," I say and blindly toss it away. With a clink it lands in a bucket full of other glowing white gems. "That's funny I don't think I found it there but that looks like it's where it belongs."

"I'd say so. Now we should leave before Thorin comes around do do his daily check," Natalie advises. Thorin has taken to doing a routine check of every room with treasure in it. Luckily the jewel storage room is last.

Heavy footsteps come close and I go frigid. Natalie grabs my arm and pulls us behind a pillar.

Thorin enters the room and starts walking about scanning everything. Surprisingly Allie enters behind him. She is decked out in jewelry and fancy clothes. Her face is sullen but whenever Thorin glances back at her she puts on a smile.

"It's almost like he's trying to make her apart of the treasure," Natalie utters to me.

"So the gold lust has extended to her?" I mumble. "I think that's better."

"Or it could be worse. If he starts seeing her as an object and with his rising anger she could get hurt," Natalie mutters. Her words making my growing concern even worse. "She would stand up to him right?"

"I don't know. She used to be in a poisonous relationship, stuck in a cutters bond. I'd like to think that would make her impervious to another bad relationship but it may just do the opposite. Allie has been weakened and maybe if Thorin offers a better relationship she'd take it, even if it was unhealthy."

"She was cut? How is she even still able to fight?"

"We killed the man that did it."

"But that doesn't erase the damage."

"Allie my lady look at this necklace. The elven king had it made for his late wife. The gems are pure starlight. He still desires this piece. However he will not have it. Your beauty is the only one to befit this necklace," Thorin murmurs and places the necklace around her neck.

"It is very pretty," Allie muses and gently touches it. "Like all other pretty things you've given me." Natalie tugs my arm and we carefully exit.

"Natalie an army approaches the mountain!" Smaug yells and runs right up to us as we walk the halls.

"An army? What army?" Natalie asks. "Are they outfitted in gold?"

"Yes they are and a huge man on an elk leads them," Smaug reports and Natalie groans.

"I hate that elk. Don't be alarmed it's just Thranduil. I'll take care of this," Natalie grumbles and stomps off towards the gates.

~~~

Natalie

~~~

"Smaug I'm really sorry for what I'm about to ask but could you please carry me down to Dale so I can talk to Thranduil?" I ask nervously. "Maybe I can diffuse this."

"Don't even be sorry Natalie. Just grab on," Smaug says and holds out his arms. I walk into his embrace and tightly clutch around his middle. He wraps his arms around me and suddenly we're off the ground.

I manage to hold in a scream and remain dignified.

It only takes a few seconds for us to land in Dale. Loud scream and sounds of arrows flying by welcome us.

"Hold your fire!" I yell and let go of Smaug. Amazingly I keep steady footing and a professional look about me.

"Cease fire this is my advisor Natalie!" Thranduil booms and waves his hand. The elves lower their bows in sync and the men cautiously drop them. "Natalie who is your friend?"

"That doesn't matter, what matters now is the fact you brought the whole army here," I deflect and cross my arms.

"I came to help the Lakemen."

"With your whole army? Thranduil I'm no fool I know why you brought them. You're obsessed with getting that necklace back. So obsessed you're willing to fight aren't you?" I conclude with frown. "It isn't worth it."

"It is. Those feared wronged me and her! All I want is her necklace. They just simply have to give it up," Thranduil snaps. His demeanor is cold and all his childish happiness is gone. Whenever it comes to Eleni he's extremely serious.

"Thranduil at least try diplomacy! Bringing a whole army to their doorstep will not help your case," I lecture and lift my chin.

"Natalie you are the advisor not the king leave these decisions to me," Thranduil states blankly.

"Excuse you as your advisor I hold weight over your decisions! And as your advisor I advise you tell the army to go home!" I yell. Smaug nervously shuffles behind me. He must not be used to seeing something as small as me scream at a king. I squint my eyes and stare Thranduil down. He's not in his right mind.

"Stay out of this Natalie," Thranduil orders and glares.

"I refuse." Thranduil ignores me and starts walking straight towards me on that stupid elk. I stand my ground not moving an inch. Smaug grabs me out of the way before he even comes close.

"Smaug let go you're making me look weak," I hiss and squirm in his grip. Smaug has his arms around my waist and is lifting me off the ground completely.

"I don't want you to get hurt," he says.

"Thranduil wouldn't hurt me," I counter and give him a pointed scowl as his elk traipses by.

"Wait! Please, wait! You will go to war over a handful of gems?" Bard yells and dashes in front of the elk with his hands up. Thranduil halts almost immediately and stares down.

"The heirlooms of my people are not lightly forsaken," Thranduil answers coolly.

"We are allies in this. My people also have claim upon the riches in that Mountain. Let me speak with Thorin," Bard persuades and Thranduil actually looks like he's contemplating. Why he's willing to listen to this human over me is puzzling.

"You would try to reason with the Dwarf?"

"To avoid war? Yes."