36 Vulnerable

There is strength in vulnerability, in facing your demons and knowing that kindness is more important in spite of them. To be vulnerable is to be brave.

~Chrissie Pinney

~~~~~~

"Are you sure you will be fine by yourself, Stace?" Alexander asked. His worried eyes were fixed at Stacey who sat across him in the living room of Darius' mansion. 

"Dad, you do not have to worry about me. I will be fine and I promise to call you if the need arises." Stacey gave a small, assuring smile to both Nathan and Alexander.

"But we also want to be here." Nathan said.

Stacey gave him a soft smile and said, "I know you want to be here and Uncle, you deserve to be here. After all Darius is your son but we all know he is a hard nut to crack. He will be like a child throwing a tantrum and right now you are ready to kill him so I do not think it is a good idea for you to be here."

"Fine but you won't restrain me from punching him when I will meet the fucking retard." Nathan's voice was edgy to which Stacey nodded her head.

"But I can stay here. I won't harm him in any way." Alexander looked torn at his last statement. 

Stacey shook her head and said, "Dad, you will lose your control once you will face him, I know that. You were persistent to give him a piece of your mind even when he was unconscious so do you really think you are convincing enough right now?"

Alexander's shoulders slumped down in defeat as he knew Stacey was right but he tried to give one more shot.

"But I am hesitant in leaving you with that monster. He will hurt you again." Alexander's hands curled into fists and his hazel eyes turned dark.

Stacey sighed and sat next to Alexander. She held his left hand and gave him a wide, grateful smile. Her eyes showed gratitude not only for supporting her in this situation but for all the things that he had done for her, all those times in the past three and a half year when she broke down and for being the father to her whilst a grandfather to her daughter. Her eyes thanked him for giving her a family when she lost her first one. Her eyes went a shade lighter as silvery liquid glistened in them.

"Dad." Stacey cleared her throat to keep her voice from cracking and spoke again, "Dad, thank you for accepting me as your daughter and for loving Stella so much."

Alexander's eye softened as he collected Stacey into his arms and kissed her forehead, mumbling, "No, my daughter. I am thankful to you for choosing us as your family. And it is kind of hard to not love that little ball of sunshine. I love you, my child." 

"I love you too, dad."

Alexander wiped away Stacey's tears and Nathan smiled warmly at them.

"Dad, you have always supported me in the past years and I know you will keep on doing that but this is my fight. You once told me that not all battles are meant to be fought with someone's assistance. Sometimes it is the moral support that counts more than the physical presence of your family. I know you all will take me back in a minute but I need to do this. So please just this one last time. I need answers from Darius."

Alexander nodded hesitantly but his eyes glowed with pride as he exclaimed, "I wish to have you as my daughter in every life. You are so strong, Stace. You make me proud. When you left London to join Brooks Corporation, I always knew that you will be able to endure all the harshness and come out stronger than before and now as we stand here after nine months it feels like I am talking to some other human being, a complete different Stacey and I am so, so proud of you, my dear. Stella is a one lucky girl to have you as her mother."