26. Strength

She buried her ears into the calm of his heartbeat and in a matter of seconds; fell terribly in love with the way her loneliness fell softly and suddenly, asleep, in his chest.

~Christopher Poindexter

~~~~~~

"I ca-can-" Stacey tried to speak but was cut short by her panic attack. Her eyes closed as she gasped for oxygen to enter her lungs. She parted her lips to breathe but that simple activity seemed the hardest thing to do as the tears kept on streaming down her face and falling on her lap as she whimpered, thrashing around on the floor. Darius as if finally getting to his senses, went towards Stacey and sat next to her on the floor. He collected her in his arms and made her sit on his lap. He rubbed her back and whispered, "Baby, look at me. Take deep breaths through your nose. In and out, like this, sweetheart. Deep breaths."

Darius himself took deep breaths as he held Stacey's face in his hands with utmost gentleness. Eventually she followed his instructions and felt the oxygen reaching her lungs. Feeling completely exhausted, she fell limply into Darius' arms, placing her head against his chest. She smiled brokenly as she heard the fast beating of his heart which let her know that her panic attack affected him not only emotionally but physically as well. She closed her eyes as Darius cradled her in his arms.

After an hour of silence, Stacey spoke softly, "I can't do it."

Darius frowned as his heart crumbled all over again which made Stacey realize that he took the wrong meaning of her words. She swore that she heard something breaking inside him terribly at her words. Darius did not utter a word as he felt his body stiffening and getting cold despite the warmth provided by Stacey's body that was completely wrapped up in his arms.

"What can't you do?"

Stacey felt a stray tear falling from her left eye s she heard the exhaustion in his voice and felt the pain emitting rom his body. It seemed as is his will to live was leaving is body slowly. She held him closer to herself not only because she needed support but because she knew that he was just as broken and vulnerable as her. So she tightened her arms around his torso. Her right hand reached upwards and tangled softly into his hair, massaging his scalp. She smiled as Darius' hold tightened on her as if he was afraid to pull apart even an inch. Both breathed heavily due to tight embrace but none of them bothered to pull apart. It felt as if their life depended on that particular hug and the feel of each other's arms was much more important than heavy breaths. Darius' head fell into the crook of Stacey's neck and a sense of contentment washed over his body once he inhaled her natural honey and coconut scent. Stacey tilted her head slightly and placed a tender kiss on his exposed neck, making him shiver in her arms. They stared at each other but did not pull away.

"You don't have to be afraid. I wasn't talking about the chance I have given you. If anything, after Stella's words of wanting a family, I know I made the right decision." Stacey spoke into a whisper as if the words were meant to be a secret which needed to remain safe between the two of them although there was no one else in the room.

Darius' body calmed down as he breathed a sigh of relief. He placed a kiss on her forehead and asked in equally low voice, "hen what is it, Cupcake?"

Stacey breathed sharply just like every other time when he used his special nickname for her. Looking deeply into his eyes, she admitted something that she had never imagined she would.

"I am not strong. I can't live up with the façade of being the strong one. Till the day I have arrived here in Melbourne, everyone is asking me to stay strong. I thought I can do it for Stella, for you, for us but the bitter truth is I am not at all strong. If anything, I am just as broken as you are. My wounds are similar to yours and I can feel our hearts breaking and aching together. I can't. I c-ca-" Stacey sobbed, lowering her head not because she was ashamed of her confession but because she did not want Darius to see her tears anymore. She was afraid that he would think of her as stupid and foolish to behave like a cry baby.