05

Dad wanted me to improve my grades in any possible way. During a silent dinner gathering, when both my brother and sister came to visit, dad announced somthing shocking.

      "We'll move out of this house."

       "What!"

      He gave one of his familiar eyes smile, "Don't attack me guys."

       I shook my head and chuckled. How could he smile when he's having such a hard time. But the others didn't seem to see why he was doing that. Our financial situations was at its worst and they had no clue.

       "How could you do that, Dad?" my brother asked. "We've been living here all our lives! Even you were born here, Dad!"

        My brother put the chopsticks down and ran his hands through his hair furiously, a look of anger drawn all over his face.

       "It's not like I wanted to move out, Sungjae," dad smiled. "Please be understanding."

       "Do whatever you want, Dad," I said smiling as brightly as I could.

       Dad smiled at me while my siblings sent me glares. I shrugged, taking a spoonful of rice.

       "Aish..I don't even know what to say,"  Sungjae hyeong replied as he stood up.

        "I don't even want to come here anymore," my sister said.

       With that, they both left the house.

      "They'll come around," mom spoke for the first time. "Just let them be, okay? Don't worry."

       Dad nodded and carried on eating as if nothing happened. He even conversed with me naturally. How did he ignore it so easily?

      Little did I know that he wasn't ignoring it that day, but rather hiding it- holding it all.

      If only I saw how much he was suffering after my siblings left, maybe I could have changed something. I could have showed him that it was okay and it will all pass.     

       Sadly, even I was fooled by his warm crescent eyes and box smile.

        At least I had his smile to remind me of him, but I don't even have a reason to smile now. I'm slowly forgetting what happiness was.

      Staring at my reflection, I noticed that I lost weight. I couldn't get a warm meal now even if I wanted.