04

Was I the reason that made dad's health worsen?

       "Taehyung-ah! What's happening to you!"

       "I just want a guitar!"

       "Your dad barely gets enough money! We don't even have proper food now! And what, you want a guitar?"

        She let out a sarcastic scoff.

      "But mom....you're buying all the jewellery and purses you want, maybe that's why we can't afford full meals."

       She gasped, "How dare you!"

      "mom, I feel like you'll be the death of me." I calmly replied, tired of always arguing with her.

      "You'll be the death of us all with these grades. You need a proper job to lead a better life! Look at your brother! His determination got him into college, but look at you. Ha. You want a guitar, ya?"

      "Eomma-" I tried to speak but she wouldn't hear me and kept on nagging.

       "Because a guitar will save us from the bankrupt, yeah? Because it will get you into an amazing college, yeah?"

      "That's not-"

      "Don't be like your dad," she said, her voice suddenly serious. "Don't live in dreams. If you do, you'll end up like him, asking around for loans."

       "Don't say that!"

       "Whatever," she said, looking away. "Just snap out of it."

      "What do you-"

       Her head snapped towards me, her sharp gaze cutting me mid sentence.

       "This reality, not a dream, Kim-Tae-Hyung."

      The way she said my name stung. It was as if she said a curse, venom lacing every syllable.

      By the end of that school year, I failed the grade. It was a shock to dad, mom, and my sister and brother, heck- even I was shocked.

       I couldn't blame anyone but myself. I'm sorry dad...I must have made it harder for you.

~▪~▪~▪~