Chapter Twelve: Mistakes Happen

⊰ Mistakes Happen ⊱

I rushed towards the direction that Lucy headed to as I worryingly think about Lucy's sudden state of emotion. I searched inside and outside of buildings, but there wasn't any sign of her anywhere. I started to become even more concerned making my mind jumble to horrifying scenarios.

After hours of searching, I decided to take a break by a nearby tree with a pond next to it. I smiled nostalgically as memories of when Lucy comforted me at this very place. I frowned remembering how jealous I was just seeing Gray and Lucy together. Now that I think about it, I'm starting to think that despite the way Gray treated Lucy, they still had a strong friendship.

As I crept closer towards the tree, the sight of blonde hair took me by surprise. Smiling in relief, I rushed towards the tree and as I got closer, I saw Lucy hugging her knees to her chest, her head laying upon her kneecaps as her sunny hair shadowed her sad face. My face forming an expression of sorrow as I slid my back against the tree, sitting next to the moping blonde.

I scooted closer to her as she jerked her head up to meet my eyes. Her brilliant brown eyes held pain and regret—many more negative emotions that I couldn't fathom. Her lips in a pouted form as I looked back at her eyes again to see that she had a sheen of wetness. Was she crying?

"Luce..." Was all I could say. She nodded slightly and turned her head to face the pond, her eyes watching the three koi fish swim freely and smoothly. I looked upon her gaze and watched them as well.

"Sorry for running off. I didn't think you'd try to find me." She let out a soft laugh, smiling sadly. I looked at her as if I were taken back and placed a warm hand on hers, which was placed on top of her knees.

"What are you talking about? I wouldn't leave you alone." I reiterated the words I swore. If she doesn't remember my promise of not leaving her alone, I wouldn't mind repeating myself again and again until it was engraved in her memory; I wanted her to know that I'm here for her. Lucy's lips formed a small smile as she looked upon our intertwined fingers, then looking back at my eyes.

"I'm glad you didn't." She blushed as she used her other hand to stroke my cheek. She then pulled back her hand making me miss the feel of her warm touches on my cheek.

"Lucy, do you want to talk about it?" I asked with concern. Her grasp on our laced hands tightened as she looked back at the pond again. I looked up to notice the clouds slowly moving making me frown.

"I don't know what to say." She muttered silently.

"I know you have a lot to say." I argued back. She sighed in defeat and shifted from her position.

"I just want all of my friends to get along." She finally spoke, while her grip around my hand loosened.

"I don't think you're talking about all of your friends." I said, knowing she was trying to imply it upon Gray instead. Her eyes started to get sadder making my heart wrench in displeasure; her sad frowns made him want to do anything he can just to see that beautiful smile again.

"Juvia was right. It's all my fault." She grieved, sounding as if she had given up. Anger filled my veins as I gritted my teeth to calm myself.

Tears formed in the brims of her eyes, "Everyone hates me now because I broke Gray's heart. I didn't mean to, I wish I—"