Chapter Eight-Chloe

Start from the beginning

Just then a series of images starts flashing through my mind. It freaks me out, because I have no idea what’s going on, but then I see my mom and I start to calm down. She’s walking into the house, where the front door use to be, obviously scared. She walks into the hallway and drops her purse, “Chloe! Chloe are you here!?” She starts running all over the house. “Chloe are you OK!? Please say something if you’re here!” She finds herself standing in my room, everything still in its place as I had left it. She crumbles to her knees and breaks down crying. “I’m so sorry Chloe. I wasn’t here to keep you safe…I’m so sorry.” Suddenly, a tall slim cloaked figure appears behind her. It places a hand on her shoulder.

“I know where your daughter is, come with me and I can take you to her.” My mother looks up her face covered in tears. “Come with me.” It hisses as it holds out a hand with talon-like nails. She reaches up and grasps his hand. I want to scream out to her so badly, but I know no one will hear me. Underneath the hood, his lips curl at the corners, revealing sharpened teeth. I watch in horror as they evaporate in a black cloud. When it clears, no one is there.

I’m back in my empty room, salty water running down my face. I fall to my knees and shove my face into my hands. “Why!? Why wasn’t I here to stop it!?” I slam my fist into the ground releasing my face. “I’m so sorry mom. I’m sorry.” I feel a hand on my shoulder, but I don’t turn to see who it is. If it’s the same guy who took my mom, he can take me if he wants. I just watch the tears fall from my face and onto the floor. I can’t believe I forgot all about her. She was the one who raised me. Who taught me how to ride a bike, and everything else I know how to do today.

“Chloe.” Ian turns me around and puts his arms around me. “What happened? Why are you crying?” It takes me a few minutes to answer him, because I’m thinking of a way to explain it without making me sound crazy.

“He has her. He sent someone to take her. She’s gone Ian, she’s gone.” I clench his shirt in my fists, and shove my face into him.

“Wait. Do you mean your mom?” I nod best I can.

“It’s not fair, she didn’t even do anything. Why did they have to take her?” He tightens his arms around me.

“I’m sorry Chloe. I promise you though we will get her back, no matter what we have to do.” He starts stroking my hair, just like my mom use to when I was upset. He knows this too. “I’ll do whatever I have to, just to keep a smile on your face.”

“Thank you.” Right then his phone begins to ring. It’s a simple, but it startles me.  He pulls away one of his arms and pulls it out.

“Hello? Wait what? Yeah yeah, OK. We’ll be right over.” He slips the phone shut and shoves it back in his pocket. He pulls away from me and places his hands on my shoulders looking down at me. “Something happened at the other house yet again. They want us over there now. Ally seems to have fainted or something.” At the thought of Ally being hurt, I stand as fast as I can and run out the house, leaving my things on my room floor.

I run over to their front door, and swing it open. “We’re in here!” Someone shouts. I rush into the living room and find all three of the protectors surrounding Ally on the couch.

“What happened?” I ask in a panic.

“All I know is she woke up in the middle of the night when Belial and I were watching some TV. She came down for a drink, and not soon after, she was clutching her head and screaming like she was in pain. I tried to settle her down, but she kept screaming and pushing me away. She was yelling at someone though, telling them to stay away from everyone. After a few minutes she just stopped looking at me with a glassy look then she fell to the ground unconscious.” Cheren explains as I kneel down next to her. She breathing heavily and she covered in a cold sweat. I reach over and place my hand on her forehead. I pull away quickly frightened by the heat.

“She’s burning up.” I exclaim. “Get something to cool her down.” I say turning to Danni. She nods and heads to the kitchen. She later comes back with a wet cloth, and she places it on Ally’s forehead. I reach up and start to stroke her long ginger hair. I feel sorry for her, she’s been through a whole lot and she just got here. Most of it was my fault too.

I saw him, Chloe. I saw him taunting me in my head. I perk my head up, looking around, but everyone else had left the room to go pack besides Belial, but he was asleep in a chair. I look at Ally, still unconscious.

Was that you Ally? Did you just talk to me with your mind? I feel absurd trying to talk to her like this, but for some reason I feel like she can hear me.

Yes. I don’t know how, but I can still talk to you this way even if I’m not conscience. But I saw him. He said if neither of us went to him, that he would kill every person in his way. His voice, it was his voice that freaked me out, and I could see him. Chloe, he’s going to hurt everyone. I stop stroking her and lay on the couch next to her. I grasp her hand on mine, and close my eyes.

He won’t hurt anyone Ally, I promise you. We can protect them, and we will protect them. No matter what it takes. I try to reassure her with this, but honestly, I’m not sure of it myself. I’m scared of him hurting everyone just like she is.

I hope we can. Is all she says in reply. We both lay here with our hands intertwined. I think about the new things we’ll encounter in Boston. How life will be there. How different it will be from California, the place I was raised. I also wonder how different it will be for Ally. California was already a big change for her, and now she’ll have to move again. Soon after analyzing all these in my head, I’m asleep.

Someone wakes me by poking my face. I groan and push away the hand not wanting to get up. They poke me again, harder this time, and my eyes shoot open. I sit up and look out the window. It’s still dark outside, but I can see the orange glow from the rising sun. I look to find the person who woke me, and I find Ally staring at me. Without warning I hug her with great force.

“I’m so glad you’re OK.” She makes a sound which is either a laugh, or a gasp for air.

“I’m glad you’re doing good too.” She gets out. I release her and she takes a deep breath. “So you ready to leave for Boston? It looks like everyone has everything packed in the van, Danni packed my things for me I guess. Now they’re all just waiting for us.” I realize how when she spoke to me in my mind last night, how she still had her accent. It made me jealous that she had it.

“I wonder what the people there will think of your accent considering they have one of their own.” She laughs.

“Yeah I never thought of that.” She smiles and I smile back. This is the kind of relationship with my sister. I don’t want it to be awkward between us.

“Come on guys! We’re going to leave without you!” Camdyn shouts from the front door. Both Ally and I moan.

“But I haven’t even taken a shower yet!” Ally shouts back. It’s quiet for a minute, and then she shouts in reply.

“Well that’s a good thing! You’ll scare all the demons away! Now get your butts out here!” She laughs and waits for me to make my way to my feet. We walk out to the van, and find it’s large enough to fit everyone. Ally and I climb into the farthest back seat and buckle in. I look out the window, and find that it’s a sunny day. The kind of day I’m use to.

The kind of day I’ll have to say goodbye to.