Chapter Twenty: Silent Screams

Eren gulped as he felt the shadows snake around his body. It was excruciatingly painful. He couldn't even manage to speak. He was just frozen in place.

''Why are you here? What do you hope to gain in this dark place?''

'I didn't want to be here. I just wanted to hang out with my friends.'

Memories of Levi flashed in his mind. He screamed when he remembered exactly what happened on his second mission. He could see Levi's scared face, and his wound gushing blood. Eren reached out for him, but a new memory surfaced. It was him losing control when Levi carried him out of the abandoned theater.

His throat felt parched just from remembering the scent of Levi's blood.

'I'm a monster. Captain, I'm so sorry.'

''You doubt yourself too often. It would be foolish to provide you with power.''

''Power?" He choked. ''Gi-give me power. I need.. it."

The shadows tightened around him, making it hard to breathe. The whispers grew louder, and he realized that those whispers were his own thoughts.

'The only way to live is to fight!'

'I'm human. I always have been, and I always will be.'

'Just you wait, you parasites. I'll butcher you all.'

'No more holding back.'

'I have to keep my promise... to Levi.'

'More. More. More!'

His body shook, and he tried to rip the shadow tendrils off him. They squeezed tighter, pinning him in place. He thrashed and shook his head, trying to tear the shadows from his eyes.

''Give me power! Give it to me!''

The voice laughed cynically. Eren managed to grip one of the spirals of darkness and yank it from one of his eyes. Blood gushed from his empty socket, and he sobbed in agony. The shadows loosened, but they didn't let go.

"Give it to me." Eren growled. "Give it to me now!"

His thoughts were jumbled. Thousands of memories jumbled and fused together at once. He clenched his hands into fists and opened his mouth to speak, but he was interrupted.

''It could kill you. This power is too great for your mortal body.''

''I don't care! Give it to me! I have to kill all of them! Every last one! I have to protect him!''

''You're such a greedy mortal.''

Eren felt the shadows tighten around him. He gasped. A new feeling spread throughout his body. It felt like he was going to burst apart at the seams.

"St-stop! Stop!"

''You wanted power. We gave you a fraction of it, now leave before you kill anyone else.''

''K-kill? When did I-?"

~~

He opened his eyes, and his vampire personality laughed hysterically.

''You actually survived! I thought you would've been torn apart by now you psychotic bastard!''

''I hate you.'' He grumbled.

Eren stood up, but he quickly fell back to his knees. One of his eyes.. He couldn't see out of it. He rubbed it, hoping that it was just some sort of fucked up hallucination.