Chapter Eight: Second Mission, Second Chances

Eren adjusted his uniform and clipped the chain of his gun to his belt. Mikasa and Armin had been keeping a close eye on him since he started training again. It only took him a week to completely regain his strength. This was their second assignment, and they'd be joining with another squad. Apparently it was supposed to be "harder" than their last one. Eren highly doubted that. His squad had taken down a puppet without any training for the situation what-so-ever. 

"This is going to be so easy." Eren complained. 

"I bet you want to be beaten to death, you suicidal bastard." A tall, long-faced boy snickered. "At least we can rid of one idiot. They might not want you. The blood suckers might absorb your idiocy."

Eren scowled. "Who the hell are you?"

Mikasa grabbed Eren by the arm and pulled him close. She had developed a habit of doing that when she thought Eren was going to do something stupid. He muttered curses under his breath and jerked his hand out of her grasp. 

"Jean Kirstein." He responded, staring at Mikasa. "And who are you?"

"Eren Jae-"

"I wasn't talking to you," He spoke brusquely. "I'm talking to her."

Mikasa shifted her weight from one foot to the other. She was obviously uninterested. Eren stifled laughter. 

'This guy thinks he can hook up with Mikasa? Haha!'

She looked over at Eren, unamused. If anything, she looked mildly annoyed. 

"Mikasa Ackerman." She replied bluntly. 

"Uh- How about we get our teams together?Jean, I think you're assigned with us." Armin squeaked. 

Eren's jaw dropped and he pointed a finger at Jean. "I have to work with Horse-Face?"

Jean growled and grabbed him by his shirt. Eren's scowl intensified, and he grabbed Jean by the wrist. 

"Let go of me." He said lowly, his voice dripping with venom. 

Mikasa broke up the fight by shoving them away from each other. Jean stared at her in disbelief, but his teammates arrived before he could provoke Eren more. 

"Sup. This is Sasha, and I'm Connie Springer. Nice to meet'cha." A short, outgoing boy introduced. 

Sasha was average height and had a slender frame, but Eren didn't hesitate to think that she would be a good addition to the team. From the looks of it, she observed her surroundings frequently. She was a little timid, but Eren was sure that was just because she didn't know him or his team yet.  Connie had short, buzzed hair and wide, bright hazel eyes. His outgoing attitude could also be useful. It means that he would express and report during the mission. He was about as short as Levi. Now that Eren thought about it...

'Levi might actually be taller than this guy...'

Jean was just.. Yeah. He was worthless. The most useful Jean was to Eren was to be bait for the vamps. He didn't need any asses on his squad.  

"Have you gotten the assignment yet?" Sasha asked, shoving a few potato chips in her mouth.

Armin nodded and held up two note cards. "This time, we have two targets. We'll split up in teams of two, that way you'll have back-up if things start to go belly-up."

Eren wondered what kind of missions Levi went on. Probably more challenging, awesome ones. Missions that actually meant something. He was ready to surpass the "rookie" status all together. Eren wanted to be placed in Levi's squad and fight with him.