Chapter 17

HANNAH

BANG.

"Then Hannah will die too."

I flinched, tears flowing down my eyes. I wanted to scream for help and let Zach know that I'm here, but Slappy hung up.

"Put the gun down, Carlo."Slappy commanded, and Carlo removed the gun that was pointed at me. He was supposed to pull the trigger if I screamed or anythung while Slappy was on the phone—it was impolite, according to him.

Slappy walked to me. I knelt by the bars of my cell, my head hung low to hide my tear-stained face from everyone else. I sobbed, and Slappy knelt down so he was just my level. He placed his wooden hand on my cheek and caressed it, wiping some tears away.

And suddenly, all the sadness amd grief turned into fury and anger.

I slapped his hand away and looked straight into his eyes. I glared at him and gritted my teeth. "Don't touch me, you tiny freak!"I screamed. Slappy frowned and hit my cheek.

I showed no sign of pain from the hit, and I kept a strong glare on my face. "You miss Zach, don't you? Don't worry. Once the Smith Corona is mine, I'll make sure that you and your precious husband will see each other again. Up there."He pointed his finger up—heaven.

Fear washed over my body. Not because of the threat of death, once Slappy gets dad's Smith Corona typewriter, he can write any kind of monster he wants and can rewrite the future intended for the world.

"Or, down there."He pointed his finger downwards—hell. "Scared?"He pouted teasingly, letting out an evil cackle. I shook my head. Confusion washed over him—I could tell by the way he looked back at me after I shook my head.

"I'm not scared of you or your monsters, or death. You know what I'm scared of?"Slappy leaned closer to me, eager to hear.

"The power of the typwriter."