20

"Hey Haley? Thank you." I turned around to meet Makayla's eyes.

"Thank you so much for staying with me. I'm so sorry about everything, I'm so sorry." She said and I could tell it was genuine.

"It's okay, I'm sorry too. I'm glad to see you're better." I said taken a little aback by seeing her.

"I'd like to give you something." I stared at her quizzically and placed a book back in my locker and closed it.

"Ummm what?" With that she pulled out a cheerbow.

"I shouldn't have taken away all of your positions while you were grieving. You wouldn't have done that to me. And seeing that you've gotten everything else back. I'd like you to be captain for the last game." She said passing me the bow with a smile.

"What? Are you serious? " I was ecstatic and shocked.I held the bow ,a small little clip with cheap ribbon that was fraying at the ends but it meant so much to me.

"Yeah, I think the team likes you more anyways." She said with a slight laugh.

"Thank you so much!" I said hugging her and placing the cheer bow into a small compartment in my backpack.

"It's the least I can do. For all you've done and all the horrible things I've done to you."

"Thank you so much." I said again, not knowing exactly what to say.

"No problem, see you around." She said before turning on her heel and leaving.

Wow. What the heck just happened?

~*~

"Okay let's go!" All the girls stood up shaking their pompoms up in the air. It was the last game of the year and after a hard week of practice the team was ready to show off their last cheer routine they would be doing all together. We added in more flips and tosses, we even found a way to incorporate the audience. Everyone was having a blast as the football team made their  way out. It was a weird tradition to have a final game on the last week of school, when football season was gone before the holidays every year. Nonetheless it was crazy fun. I cheered louder as my boyfriend came out smiling and waving to the crowd. His eyes landed on me as he winked and put on his helmet.

The whistle blew as our entire pyramid disassembled and we started to cheer. The game was in full swing.

~*~

Once the game was finally over I ran and hugged Aiden.

"You did so good out there! I'm so proud of you!  Our team won!"
"You too!  The crowd was so pumped and that helped a lot!"

"I'm going to miss this."

"Miss what?" He asked setting me down  a sad look on his face.

"Our highschool games."

"Wait Haley, what happens now?" Aiden asked his eyes big and alert all of a sudden, it was comical.

"What do you mean?" I asked trying to think back to what I said.

"With us. We have a week left and then we are both packing up and leaving." The reality of the events startled me and I two got bug eyed. We both must have been a sight to see.

"Oh my gosh. How could I forget? What college are you going to?" We seemed to have completely blocked out college when we got together.

"Princeton."

"I'm going to Harvard." I answered a disappointing look spreading across my face.

Who knew being accepted to Harvard would make me so sad?

"Then how's this going to work?" He asked simply, in many ways Aiden was like a child. He would ask simple questions that he didn't know the answer to just to ask. He knew no one actually had the answer.

"I guess we can try long distance. Right?" I said with a fake smile.

"I don't think this will work, but I'll try anything for you." He said placing his chin on top of my head. 

"Me too.I'm so sorry I didn't tell you before, it never came up." I said pulling back so he could hear me better.

"Well congratulations Harvard is nice."

"You too Princeton is amazing, you'll make their football team proud."

"Hey don't be sad, it's  just four more years."

But highschool was four years, four long years. So much happened just this year.

"Okay, I'll call you everyday and we'll try to meet up whenever we can."

"Of course."

"When do you leave?"

"Late July. I have a theatre camp."

"Hey let's not make this too depressing. We will make the most of everything before you leave." Aiden said a smile on his face.

"Okay." I said while giving him a big hug.

"Are you coming to the party tonight? " He asked holding me in his arms tightly.

"No. I.." I was muffled by his uniform which was wreaking of sweat.

"Please come.It's the last party of the year." He begged looking straight at me sad eyed.

"Okay fine. But you're picking me up and I'm driving you back."

"Alright, okay." He said with a goofy smile.

"Great.I'll see you in a bit I need to go change."

"Okay, bye Haley. We will make this work." He promised as convincingly as he could.

As stupid as it sounded I felt like that could be true.

We just got together, we can't just break up.

I hate on and off couples and we are becoming one!

~*~

"This music is way too loud. " I said yelling at Aiden. Why did I even come to this stupid party.

"You want a drink? I heard you're a fun drunk. I also heard you profess your love when you're drunk, but you don't go to many parties so I never tested that theory." A person on the football team asked me laughing.

"Not funny. But I'll take a beer." Aiden said harshly. Aiden straightened up from his seated position on the couch. He easily towered over the boy. Intimidated he scrambled to get a drink and apologized to me before leaving.

I gave Aiden a high five happy he didn't punch the guy.

The party was as fun as a stupid teenage alcohol fest could be. I ended up dancing with Aiden a few times, and that was probably the only fun I had.

I personally do not like crowded parties with stupid people, way too loud music, sweaty bodies, and anything to do with drinking. But that's just me.

I sat on the couch and started talking to a few people on the cheer team and texting Carly. 

She was extremely  sick so she was at home resting but she insisted she was coming to the party if I was going. But I insisted she stayed home and rested, so she eventually gave up and agreed. Well after I explained I was with Aiden and I wouldn't accidentally drink anything.

After a few hours and many drunk idiots trying to flirt later, Aiden was finally ready to go. He asked me if I had fun which I found funny because he knew better than anyone that I absolutely hated every moment except when I was with him. Which was rare since the party was thrown for the football team so he was always somewhere else.

I got into his car rolling down the windows to reveal some fresh air. Before driving to his house and dropping him off. He thanked me and told me that it was okay that I took his car like I did that one time I dropped him off during prom, and that he would take it the next day.

Although the night totally sucked ,at least I  survived.I still had a shirt,I didn't profess my love to a single guy and I was still conscious and so was Aiden.

So I count this night as a success!

~*~
Woah only two more chapters and then an epilogue!!