Chapter 9

Ellen Pov

     I hadn't stopped driving from home unless I needed to use the bathroom or I was hungry. My gas tank needed to be filled and I was close to a station.
     I pulled up and payed in cash. If I planned on staying far from home, I'd need a job that would get me money.
     I continued driving for a while until I reached a Las Vegas sign.
    As soon as I pulled in, I found a cheap hotel with a bunch of prostitutes inside. I could probably make some good cash doing that. I haven't even graduated high school yet so there wasn't much of an option.
     I kept my phone turned off so I couldn't be reached. I went in my room after I prepaid for a few nights. I was running low on money now.
     Before I collapsed from exhaustion, I went up to a girl who looked a little older than me who was dressed like a whore. Definitely a prostitute.
     "Uhm how do I get a job?" I went up to her and she rolled her eyes and handed me a phone number.
     I nodded and quickly went up to the hotel room I was staying in. I only packed a few clothes as it was kinda a spur of the moment thing.
     In a way I wanted to call somebody. I had to prove I wasn't a little girl anymore. I picked up the phone that was in the hotel. Sure enough it was a pimp. I was to be a prostitute.
    Wasn't exactly the dream job but it was something so I agreed to meet him tomorrow. While I was at it, I would pick up some birth control as well to be safe.
     I collapsed on the mattress and curled up in a ball for my own comfort as I did my best to fall asleep.
...
Maura Pov

     When I finally convinced Jane to crawl into bed, she was pretty rattled. She continued to blame herself.
     "Tootsie, it's not your fault." I whispered to her in the dark, with her back facing me.
     "What if she needs help and is afraid to call?" She whispered back to me with a still shaky voice. I rolled on my back and sighed.
      I sat back up so that I was sitting straight on our mattress.
     "Lay on your stomach Jane." She groaned as she turned to look at me.
     "Why? I don't want to do anything tonight." She looked like she needed sleep. I smiled a little bit.
     "Take your shirt off too." Jane continued to look at me. I made an annoyed sigh this time.
     "Jane! Can you please trust me!?" I sternly spoke to her and she rolled her eyes and groaned as she finally listened and took off her shirt and layed on her stomach.
     I crawled over to her and sat on her lower back.
"Maura..?"
"Shh."
I started gently massaging her back in a way I read about once in an article on reducing stress. Her muscles were tight and I could tell Jane was finally relaxing as her body became less tense.
     She let out a whimper as I hit a tight spot but she eventually fell asleep, which was my goal.
     After she drifted off I climbed off of her and moved some of her curly dark hair so I could kiss her temple.
     I carefully slipped her shirt back on her before allowing myself to curl up next to her and find sleep myself.
...
Jane Pov

I watched in horror as my daughter was dragged away while I was pinned down. To make matters worse, the scalpels in my hands continued to penetrate my skin. As if I dare move a muscle, they will destroy me even more. I screamed in terror as I heard Ellen's shrieks and calls for help.

     I shot straight up in bed and Maura woke up from it.
    "Jane? You're acting like I did after I got molested. Are you having nightmares?"
     She sat up next to me and looked me dead in the eye. I nodded.
     "What can I do to help?" Maura whispered gently as she leaned her chin on my shoulder.
I looked down at her precious face.
     "Just let me hold you." I whispered back to her and she nodded. I was trembling a bit, still thinking about Ellen.
     Maura pulled me back down on the mattress and I wrapped my arms around her torso so she was facing me and I held her tight.
     "I love you Maura." My voice cracked from trying not to cry and she ran her hand along my cheek and through my hair.
     "I love you too Jane. It'll all be okay."
     She leaned over and kissed me before allowing her arms to wrap around my body as well.