Chapter 5

Ellen Pov

     "Mom you have no idea! I have a reputation to keep!" I tried explaining to my mom why I was drinking and she was fed up with me.
     "Ellen. In a few years, it won't matter what your reputation was when you were seventeen years old!" She was practically being as annoying as Ma.
     "And Ellen, it doesn't matter how much you hate either of us! You have to change back to who you used to be! I know that the Ellen I know is deep down inside of you!"
     I gulped quietly.
"Are you listening!?" Mom was very angry with me. Great. Now both my parents were mad. I just didn't care.
     "Hello!?"
     "I'm listening." I grumbled.
"Good. Do you need me to come home now? Is that what's going to help you?!" Her voice cracked as if she was going to cry.
     "No Mom. Leah will be upset. I'm fine I swear."
     "Okay Ellen. Goodbye."
"Bye Mom." I hung up the phone and gave it back to Ma.
     Even though it was only about four in the evening I went to bed. After washing my face one last time, I closed the blinds and covered myself with my blankets.
    I did a shitty job of it but it would have to work. I hated my life sometimes. I hated what I had chosen to be, but I didn't allow myself to cry.
     A tear slipped out before I quickly brushed it away.
     I was in a light sleep when I heard Ma come in my room. I pretended to be asleep but she fixed my blankets and kissed my temple before whispering, "Goodnight my sweet girl." She made sure all the lights were out and shut the door allowing me to sleep.
...
Jane Pov

     If only Ellen knew how much she actually meant to both me and Maura. How much we loved her.
     I sat at the kitchen table and worked on my paperwork that I had to catch up on. I hated paperwork but it needed to get done.
     I was working for a while, and by the time I looked at the clock it was 10:00 at night already. I closed my laptop and went to shower until I heard whimpering from Ellen's room.
     I knocked lightly and entered. She was rolling around and sweaty as if she was in a nightmare. I grabbed a damp washcloth and went over to her bedside and shook her gently.
     "Ellen, honey, wake up sweetie." She woke up out of breath and sweaty. I folded the washcloth and wiped her face with it.
     After she calmed down, she hadn't said anything and I sat on her bed and looked at her.
     "Are you okay?" I whispered lovingly and she nodded.
"Yeah, I think." She was very vauge and looked up at me.
     "You sure?" I gently pushed her hair out of her face and she allowed me to put it in a loose low ponytail.
     "Yeah, just a bad dream. I'm fine." She layed back down and clutched her pillow.
     "If you want anything, I'm just going to shower and then head to bed. Alright?" My voice was calm and gentle. The way I used to talk to Ellen all the time before she basically rejected everything I did. She nodded.
     "Goodnight Ma."
"Goodnight honey, I love you." I started to close the door when I heard her gently whisper,
"Love you too."
     I shut the door quietly and smiled sadly before going to take my shower and go to bed.