Chapter 8

Jane Pov

     I never went back to sleep last night and Ellen never came home. I was a mess.
I picked up my phone and called Gibbs.
     "Boss, Ellen and I got into it last night and she ran away with her car. What do I do??"
     "I recommend you wait today to see if she comes home. If she doesn't, we can file a missing persons."
     "Okay boss thanks, I gotta call Maura. I'll talk to you soon."
     I've tried Ellen's phone multiple times. It went straight to voicemail which meant that it was off.
     Before I called Maura, I realised that she would be on her flight home now. I'd have to let her know when I picked her up. In the mean time I continued pacing.
     What if she doesn't come home or ends up dead somewhere? The thoughts of everything swirled my mind as my brain danced with all the possibilities.
     I needed to move, so I put on my sneakers and went for a run. I ran for over an hour.
     By the time that I finished running, it was time to pick up Maura, Kate, and Leah from the airport.
     I hopped in the car and sped over to where my wife, friend, and daughter would be.
I had so many things on my mind.
     The last thing that happened between my daughter and I was a fight.
     What if something happens to her and I didn't get to say goodbye or I'm sorry?
     My hands were trembling as I went into the airport and saw the three familiar faces.
    "Ma!" Leah came up to me and gave me a hug. She was the spitting image of me. I held her tight and just lost it.
     I had an emotional break down and just started to cry in the middle of the airport.
     "Ma?" Leah questioned as I continued to hug her.
     "Ma..? What's wrong?" She squeezed out of my grip and tried to figure out what was the matter with me.
     Maura came up along with Kate. She put her bags down and put her hands on my shoulders.
     "..Jane?" She searched my distressed eyes until I finally choked up and answer.
     "Ellen didn't return last night. I'm pretty sure she ran away." My voice was shaky and Maura's concerned face turned into worry.
     I looked at Kate.
     "Kate let's go, your house is on the way of Melony's." I angrily took one of the suitcases as we hurried out the door and piled in my car.
     I sped down the road and everyone was silent as I pulled up to Melony's house.
Maura looked at me and squeezed my hand.
     "Jane, don't work yourself up. It's not going to help Ellen."
     I nodded as I got out and slammed the door. I went up to the door and knocked. Melony's mother answer.
     "Hi Jane, how are you?"
     "Pretty bad actually. I was wondering if Melony was around?"
     "No, she went out with some friends, why?"
     I took a deep breath to stop myself from screaming.
     "Ellen and Melony went to a party last night as you are probably aware of. Ellen came home with a boy in her bed. We got into a huge argument and now my daughter is gone. She ran away and I have no clue where she is." I paused and clenched my jaw.
     "Get a hold of her and tell her to call me or I'll find her myself." I sternly spoke and left a dumbfounded woman on her porch as I walked back down to the car to drop Kate off at her house.