Chapter 17

*Zak’s P.O.V*

I stopped and stared at her. I forgot how captivating her purple eyes were. “I came to apologize.” I finally managed to say. She just looked at me, waiting for me to elaborate. “Look, I know what I did was wrong and I was a total dick. But I didn’t realize it was that important to you. And I didn’t realize I was getting feelings for you until after you were long gone. You’re one of the most caring, funny, and sweet people I know. You’re also stunning; your purple eyes astound me every time I look at them. I thought I had lost you forever after you left, but I saw you pull up here and I just had to see you one more time, hoping that you would forgive me.” I stopped talking, hoping for her to say something. 

*Amaryllis’s P.O.V*

I didn’t know what to say. My heart was telling me to forgive him, but my mind was saying I shouldn’t trust him. I felt tears starting to breech my eyelids. I turned my back on him, hoping he wouldn’t notice I was about to cry. “I think you should go.” I said bitterly, I wasn’t ready to forgive him. I couldn’t. 

I heard him let out a heart-breaking sigh. “I was hoping you wouldn’t say that. Today is my last day; we are actually heading to the airport right now. So I guess this is goodbye then.” I heard him walk out the door, the bell above confirming it. 

I turned back around, but I was too late, he was already gone. I tightly closed my eyes, hoping to stop the tears from spilling over. Everyone else in the room was silent as I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself down. Once I thought I had my emotions under control, I turned back around to face Jenny, her eyes wide. I walked up to the front counter, her gaze shifted to me. 

“I’m sorry you had to see that, I don’t know what he was thinking.” I apologized. 

“Was that Zak Bagans?” She said in wonder. 

“Yeah…” I trailed off. 

“Wow.” She breathed. “You just had the hottest paranormal investigator confess that he has feelings for you! And you turned him down! I don’t know how you could say no to someone as good-looking as that.” She let out a low whistle. 

I shrugged; trying to act like it wasn’t a big deal. Even though I knew I was wondering if I had made the right decision to let him go. “Anyways, that’s not the reason I’m her to talk to you.” I let out a little chuckle. She gave me a confused look. 

“Oh! Were you looking to buy some flowers?” She laughed at herself, obviously forgetting she worked in a flower shop. 

“Uh, no… that’s not it either. I’m actually here to talk to you about your husband, Adam. I heard he died a few days ago from a horrific car crash, and I’m terribly sorry to hear that.” I tried to sound as sincere as I possibly could. 

She got a devastated look in her eyes at the mention of her deceased husband. “Did you know him?” She asked. 

“Not when he was alive, no.” I chose my words carefully, trying to figure out how I was going to tell her. 

“What do you mean?” She was confused again. 

“What I’m trying to say is that I can see and communicate with spirits. I ran into your husband the other day when he was outside of my house. He said that you’ve been pretty distraught over his death, and he wanted to tell you that he’s okay, and that you shouldn’t worry.” I tried to explain as best as I could without creeping her out. 

“What? Do you think this is some kind of sick joke?” She said with horror written all over her face. 

“No ma’am! I’m being 100% serious!” I tried to defend myself.