Chapter 17

My birthday was on a Tuesday that year and my friends had gotten me a small badge that said happy birthday. I managed to hide the badge with my scarf. I didn’t want to bring attention to the fact that it was my birthday. I wanted people to wish me happy birthday because they remembered and not because the badge reminded them.

Chace and I had had a normal conversation in class teacher’s period. It was obvious he had forgotten my birthday, but I wasn’t that offended.

In Math period the class sang happy birthday to me and Chace was so shocked when he realised it was my birthday. Almost as if he couldn’t believe he forgot.

After Math was English. I entered the classroom and Chace smiled as he approached me. I wanted to go to my desk to put down my bag, but he stopped me in my tracks. He took my bag off my shoulder and put it down.

“I can’t believe I forgot. Happy Birthday!” he said with a smile.

He then –wait for it- hugged me!

That was the first time he ever hugged me! I also then knew what a cold hug felt like. My friends always told me I gave cold hugs and that was because I wasn’t a very affectionate person. Hugging Chace, I felt super awkward. The coldness in the hug came from both of us. The best way to describe the hug would be- robotic. Picture two robots hugging… now that was us.

But nevertheless, the hug made my day.

Simply because I touched him.

Remember when Sophia gave Chace a gift before she left in the previous year? I finally found out by Chace what it was.

It had turned out to be a bottle of lotion and a mirror. There were hidden meanings behind the gifts which I understood. That was why I had laughed when Chace had told me what it was. He found my laughter offensive.

The lotion had been for his cracked face and the mirror was so that he could stare at himself- being conceited and all.

It was on a Monday that Tisha arrived.  She had been so happy to see all of us that she hugged us all. It felt so surreal to me, even when she was in the car with us, heading back home.

In the car we chatted about everything that had happened.

It was good to have her back.